Staff Reporter
No image available
/ 12 March 2007

Court order suspends Vodacom strike

Vodacom has obtained an interim court order preventing workers who belong to the Communications Workers’ Union (CWU) from continuing their strike, the CWU said on Monday. ”It is unfortunate that the judge granted Vodacom the interim interdict. That has forced us to suspend our strike,” CWU spokesperson Mfanafuthi Sithebe said.

No image available
/ 12 March 2007

No news on health minister’s recovery

Doctors have not indicated when ailing Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang will be discharged from hospital, her spokesperson said on Monday. Earlier on Monday, the Presidency said that President Thabo Mbeki had not met Tshabalala-Msimang’s husband to discuss relieving her of her duties due to her ill health.

No image available
/ 12 March 2007

Ethiopia calls on kidnappers to release hostages

Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi urged the kidnappers of five Europeans and eight locals on Monday to give them up, saying the hostages were not the original target of an attack in the remote north. ”I do not believe these people were targeted. They were in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Meles said in his first public comments on the kidnap that took place 11 days ago.

No image available
/ 12 March 2007

Police under fire over evidence botch-up

A Cape High Court judge on Monday criticised the police for their lack of professionalism at the scene of the murder of Stellenbosch student Inge Lotz. ”In my 22 years on the Bench, I have never seen anything so bad,” Judge Deon van Zyl remarked as it emerged that a key piece of evidence had been moved.