Staff Reporter
No image available
/ 7 March 2007

Two winners for record $370m US lottery prize

At least two people will share a -million (R2,7-billion) lottery jackpot in the United States, officials said on Wednesday after the record prize drew in millions of players across the country. ”Right now we know there are two winning tickets: one in the state of New Jersey, one in the state of Georgia,” an Ohio Lottery Commission spokesperson said.

No image available
/ 7 March 2007

Potch name-change saga sparks SMS harassment

A Potchefstroom councillor has opened a case of harassment after receiving a barrage of insulting and derogatory text messages following a radio interview on renaming the city. Police spokesperson Senior Superintendent Piet Du Plessis on Wednesday confirmed that a case of harassment had been opened by African National Congress councillor Ina Stoltz.

No image available
/ 7 March 2007

Safety violations exposed by labour blitz

Fifty out of 85 construction employers were found to be violating workplace safety regulations during an on-site crackdown by labour inspectors in the Eastern Cape, the Labour Department said on Wednesday. Department spokesperson Zolisa Sigabi said seven construction sites had been shut down and an additional 48 contravention notices were served.

No image available
/ 7 March 2007

Allan Gray in BEE deal

Investment management firm Allan Gray has sold off just under 19% of its shareholding in a black economic empowerment (BEE) deal, the company announced on Wednesday. It also said the firm’s founder, Allan Gray, had donated R1,1-billion from the sale to support initiatives that include comprehensive funding for university students wanting to become entrepreneurs.

No image available
/ 7 March 2007

Proteas in World Cup fire scare

Pakistan and South African players were involved in what is believed to be a fire scare and had to file out of their Hilton hotel in Port of Spain early on Wednesday as they were having breakfast. Irish and Canadian players, however, were not among those who had to leave the premises, having already left for practice.

No image available
/ 7 March 2007

Cape Town stadium back on track

The building of Cape Town’s 2010 Soccer World Cup stadium is back on track with a R185-million funding guarantee from banking group Investec. The city put the R2,9-billion project on hold last week. Mayor Helen Zille said on Wednesday that Investec had guaranteed the outstanding R185-million as payment on a post-2010 operating lease on the stadium, to be built at Green Point.