YouTube, the video social-networking website owned by Google, is building a vast network of content providers, a company spokesperson said. YouTube has concluded "more than 1 000 partnerships" with content providers both big and small, YouTube spokesperson David Song said late on Friday.
Two girls, aged 14 and four, have been rescued after being held in a tiny underground burrow by an alleged serial rapist, South African police said on Monday. A 31-year-old man arrested near the coastal town of Hermanus in the Western Cape province on Sunday claimed the younger girl was his daughter, police said on Monday.
About 2 000 workers employed by Blue Ribbon bakery, mostly members of the Food and Allied Workers’ Union (Fawu), embarked on a national strike on Monday, the union said. ”We are unhappy about the company’s refusal to accede to our demand of a centralised bargaining forum …,” Fawu general secretary Katishi Masemola said.
The state filed papers in the in the Durban High Court on Monday morning in its attempt to obtain documents from Mauritius relating to accusations of corruption against Jacob Zuma. The papers had already been served on Zuma and French arms manufacturer Thint on Friday.
It’s not all about James Blunt. Lloyd Gedye reports on the singer-songwriter’s fight-back.
A father told on Monday how he ran eight kilometres to hospital with his two-year-old child in his arms, after his shack fell down during a freak storm near Klerksdorp. Daniel Maputle said his shack in Jouberton township collapsed during the storm on Sunday, and his son, Bithatelo Maputle, was struck on the head.
It was business as usual for national lottery operator Uthingo after the Pretoria High Court on Monday set aside Trade and Industry Minister Mandisi Mphahlwa’s decision to award the lottery licence to Gidani. Judge Willie Seriti ruled that the process followed by the national lotteries board was flawed.
The South African Transport and Allied Workers’ Union (Satawu) on Monday denied accusations of violence and intimidation during a bus drivers’ strike at Autopax Passenger Services. Autopax spokesperson Carl Newman accused striking Satawu members of violence and intimidation during pickets on Thursday and Friday.
Britain’s top law officer gagged a media outlet for a second time from reporting on Monday on an alleged ”bombshell” memo at the heart of a cash-for-honours row threatening Prime Minister Tony Blair. The injunction by Attorney General Lord Goldsmith against the Sun newspaper came after he took similar action against the BBC on Friday.
Tired of trying to get a bit of peace and quiet in one of the world’s most densely populated countries, a Bangladeshi man with a head for heights has hit on the perfect solution. Each day carpenter and aspiring writer Salim Hossen Gaus, aged 25, winches himself 30m in a precarious home-made pulley to a small wooden platform he has built at the top of a palm tree.