Staff Reporter
No image available
/ 28 February 2007

Apartheid detainee’s body to be exhumed

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) is to exhume the remains of Looksmart Ngudle, the first security detainee to die under apartheid detention laws back in 1963. The authority began investigations last year to locate his remains at the request of Ngudle’s son, Siyanda, an NPA spokesperson said on Wednesday.

No image available
/ 28 February 2007

Give Africa a break, says FW de Klerk

Africa needs a ”fair break” from the rest of the world and the determination to address its own problems, former president FW de Klerk said on Wednesday. In a lecture at the University of Pretoria, De Klerk said there is an unfair perception that Africa is lagging further and further behind in the global race.

No image available
/ 28 February 2007

AU creates South African force for Burundi

The African Union on Wednesday officially created a peacekeeping force of more than 1 500 South African troops for Burundi to help integrate the country’s last active rebel movement. The pan-African body has taken over from the United Nations in order to facilitate the integration of the Forces of National Liberation (FNL) into a broader peace process.

No image available
/ 28 February 2007

Manto’s condition improving, says spokesperson

Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang remains in the high-care unit at Johannesburg Hospital, where her condition is improving, her spokesperson said on Wednesday. ”Her doctor indicated that she is getting better,” said Sibani Mngadi. ”However, she remains in the high-care unit of the hospital in order to facilitate appropriate haemodynamic monitoring.”

No image available
/ 28 February 2007

Alternative beauty contest to challenge ideals

An alternative beauty pageant to be held in a remote Icelandic town will reward contestants’ wrinkles, saggy breasts and other bodily imperfections and hopes to challenge Western ideas of beauty, organisers said on Wednesday. "Anyone can make the rules about what beauty is; we want to change the rules," one of the contest’s organisers, Matthhildur Helgadottir, said.

No image available
/ 28 February 2007

SA backs ICC over Darfur

South Africa fully supports the International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutor’s decision to seek summonses for two suspects accused of war crimes in Sudan’s Darfur region, a top government official said on Wednesday. But Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Aziz Pahad warned it was too early to tell what effect the ICC action would have on long-term peace prospects in Sudan.

No image available
/ 28 February 2007

Airbus announces massive job cuts

European jet maker Airbus is set to axe 10 000 of its 56 000 workforce as part of a cost-cutting operation to lift it out of a financial crisis. The company said on Wednesday it will cut the jobs over four years: 4 300 in France, 3 700 in Germany, 1 600 in Britain and 400 in Spain.

No image available
/ 28 February 2007

Scorpions search JCI offices

The Scorpions continued a search of the JCI offices in Johannesburg on Wednesday afternoon as part of their investigation into the murder of businessman Brett Kebble. National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Lucinda Moonieya said investigators were looking through the company’s financial affairs for documents that would offer evidence of fraud and money laundering.

No image available
/ 28 February 2007

Sudanese ICC suspect says inspired by Saddam

A Sudanese official named as a possible Darfur war criminal said he drew inspiration from the example of former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein at his execution in Baghdad in December. Secretary of State for Humanitarian Affairs Ahmed Haroun is accused having ”jointly committed crimes against the civilian population of Darfur”.

No image available
/ 28 February 2007

DA slams special treatment for Motata

The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Wednesday expressed its ire at the ”preferential treatment” extended to Pretoria High Court Judge Nkola Motata on Tuesday. Court officials had bent over backwards to ensure that Motata’s court hearing was shielded from the public, DA spokesperson Sheila Camerer said.