Nomia Rosemary Ndlovu reacts at the South Gauteng high Court in Johannesburg on September 27, 2021. - The chilling trial of a policewoman accused of murdering five relatives and a boyfriend to cash in on insurance claims, has captivated South Africans, struck by her brass in the face of blood-curdling allegations. Eyebrows raised in defiance, Nomia Rosemary Ndlovu, 46, sat nonchalantly in the dock of a Johannesburg court on Monday, hair pinned into two lopsided buns. (Photo by Emmanuel Croset / AFP)
Convicted serial killer Nomia Rosemary Ndlovu’s case has been postponed to May 31 for further investigation and disclosure of information related to the new charges she is facing.
With her hands firmly locked together, a calm Ndlovu made her second appearance at the Kempton Park magistrate’s court on 25 May alongside her co-accused, Nomsa Mudau, on charges of conspiracy to commit murder.
Mudau, with the help of Ndlovu, allegedly hired hitmen in 2018 to kill her then husband Justice Mudau. He claims that the alleged attempted hit was for insurance payouts.
Speaking outside the courtroom, Mudau said that despite sharing two sons with the accused, he would “sever the relationship”.
“We are not speaking to each other, there’s not even a reason to be social with each other. I know we’ve got kids, but we are talking about a person who conspired to have me killed. She still threatens me, saying that she will finish me,” he said.
Mudau said he was tipped off by one of the alleged hitmen that was hired to kill him.
State advocate Riana Wiliams asked the court to postpone the case because the prosecution needed more time to conduct further investigations and arrest another suspect.
Mudau said he was ready to put the past behind him and move forward with his life.
Even though the alleged incident took place in 2018, Mudau said: “I am still terrified indeed to say she might still do what she said she would do – whether now or at a certain time in prison if convicted. She can still do that, so there’s no need for me to be social,” he said.
He described his relationship with his ex-wife as one that was “broken beyond repair”. He said there were numerous restraining orders filed between the two parties.
Nomsa Mudau was released on a warning after her arrest in 2018.
Ndlovu is facing another case of conspiracy to commit murder for allegelly plotting to kill Sergeant Keshi Benneth Mabunda, the investigating officer in charge of the case in which she was convicted of murder.
Ndlovu was represented by Makamu Baloyi of Legal Aid South Africa. She told the court that her client was unaware of the charges and requested more time to be informed about such.
Ndlovu had previously appeared before the court in April but the case was postponed to 25 May after she requested legal representation, saying she only found out about the matter the day before.
Ndlovu, who is a former police officer, is serving six life sentences after being convicted in October 2021 on charges that include murder, attempted murder, defeating the ends of justice and fraud.
She collected more than R1-million in insurance payouts after killing a number of relatives and a former boyfriend.
Judge Ramarumo Monama, who presided over her trial at the Palm Ridge magistrate’s court in Kempton Park, commended the prosecution for presenting a strong case.
“The lawlessness in which she carried out her criminality threatens the very existence of society,” he said.
[/membership]