/ 25 October 2024

Succession fuels Gauteng coalition woes

Gettyimages 2179615681 594x594
Premier Panyaza Lesufi at the release of the quality of life survey by the Gauteng City-Region Observatory (GCRO) at Radisson Blu on October 22, 2024 in Sandton. (Photo by Luba Lesolle/Gallo Images via Getty Images)

The tension within the ANC in Gauteng over its coalition with the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) in Ekurhuleni appears to be linked to the party’s leadership battle in the province, and nationally, ahead of the ANC’s 2027 national conference.

Insiders claim the Ekurhuleni leadership, which has struggled to dissolve its coalition with the EFF, is leading efforts to create divisions in the province to make headway for Lebohang Maile to replace Panyaza Lesufi as provincial chairperson.

The faction supporting Maile, who narrowly lost the contest for Gauteng chairperson to Lesufi at the 2022 provincial elective conference, is regrouping and positioning itself to exploit the friction between Lesufi and provincial secretary Thembinkosi “TK” Nciza. 

The coalition with the EFF has been a bone of contention in the Gauteng ANC and Lesufi’s reluctance to remove the party from the alliance has drawn criticism internally. 

A senior ANC insider revealed that they want to remove Lesufi from his position as provincial chairperson at the conference, accusing him of preventing the party from forming a stronger, ANC-led coalition in the metro.

“This strategy would ensure Panyaza, who has been shielding the EFF from being removed from the coalition, is ousted, enabling the ANC to choose new partners that will strengthen its position in Ekurhuleni,” the insider said. 

These divisions come as the ANC in Gauteng has been accused of defying the national leadership’s directives on coalition politics, particularly regarding its partnership with the EFF. 

But sources close to the provincial leadership said Lesufi and his allies have consulted the ANC’s national working committee and received approval for their coalition strategy, despite its controversy.

The coalition with the EFF in Ekurhuleni has been marred by governance challenges, particularly over financial decisions. 

Earlier this year, tension flared when the EFF opposed a R2.5 billion loan proposed by the ANC-led coalition to address service delivery issues in the metro. 

The EFF’s stance has fuelled accusations that the party is deliberately undermining the ANC’s efforts to stabilise Ekurhuleni’s finances, further complicating the already strained relationship between the two parties.

But ANC Ekurhuleni chairperson Jongizizwe Dlabathi denied that Ekurhuleni was involved in a campaign against Lesufi.

“Our coalition with the EFF presents both opportunities and challenges. 

“It is important that we manage these dynamics carefully to ensure effective governance in Ekurhuleni,” he said.

Dlabathi, who was appointed finance MMC after the ANC removed EFF provincial chairperson Nkululeko Dunga from the position, criticised the factionalism within the party, saying that it threatened stability.

“Recent developments in Ekurhuleni highlight internal challenges that may affect our leadership dynamics. 

“It is important to recognise the need for unity within the ANC in Gauteng during this time,” Dlabathi said. “Unity within the ANC is essential as we work towards our goals. It is crucial that we focus on collaboration rather than division.”

The Ekurhuleni region is seen as a critical battleground for these internal power struggles, with Maile’s supporters aligning with secretary general Fikile Mbalula’s national faction in an effort to unseat Lesufi.

Sources close to the provincial executive committee (PEC) say Lesufi is aware of the internal efforts to weaken his influence. 

“These attacks on the provincial leadership have largely backfired. 

“Rather than dividing the party, the pressure has solidified support for Lesufi and Nciza among Gauteng ANC members,” the senior ANC member said.

“There have been several attempts to undermine the provincial leadership but, each time, those behind these efforts make mistakes that reveal their true intentions,” they said. “The more they try to destabilise us, the more support Lesufi and Nciza gain from the rank-and-file members.”

Despite the ongoing tension, the ANC leadership in Gauteng remains confident that it can withstand the internal challenges.  

One senior leader said the only legitimate way forward for those seeking leadership changes in the province is through lobbying ahead of the next provincial elective conference. “Shortcut tactics like this divide-and-conquer strategy will only expose the desperation of those involved and further unify the current leadership,” the leader said. 

Those close to the provincial leadership remain confident that their control over the ANC in Gauteng will not be easily shaken. 

“We are well ahead of them — we have prepared for a very long time,” said one Lesufi ally.

“The problem is that they are making the same mistakes which cost comrade Maile the chair position last time. 

They are not calculating their moves and that is what is strengthening our side because every move we make is well thought out,” he said.

“These factions are trying to divide the PEC by pitting key leaders against each other,” said another ANC insider. 

“They’re warning Lesufi that defying Luthuli House could result in him becoming a political casualty but what they do not know is that this is a race which even Ekurhuleni cannot win.

“Our mobilisation will dismantle dissenting voices in Ekurhuleni the same way we have been able to shut them up during their rants to have the EFF removed,” the source said.

ANC national spokesperson Mahlengi Bhengu-Motsiri said she was not aware of any factionalism within the province or any leaders campaigning for the 2027 conference.

“We are currently focused on stabilising metros where we govern and service delivery and not conference matters,” she said.