Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Relly and Bloom to meet Mandela

Nelson Mandela is to meet Anglo-American Corporation chief Gavin Relly and former Premier Group chairman Tony Bloom at the African National Congress leader’s Soweto home on Monday.

Mandela is scheduled to receive Relly on Monday morning, and Bloom — who arrives in South Africa from London this weekend — is expected in Orlando West later in the day.

It will be the first face-to-face meeting between the recently-released ANC stalwart and representatives of big business, and comes after a week in which Mandela and the ANC have made a point of stressing the need for consultation with South Africa’s jittery business community.

Mandela told the Weekly Mail he was to have seen Relly at Victor Verster Prison earlier this month, “but the same day I was told he was to come down, I was released. “I therefore felt that I should contact him and indicate that if he still wanted to take it up, I was ready to receive him.” This led to Monday’s scheduled meeting.

Anglo-American chief communications officer James Duncan said yesterday that Relly “would not like to pre-empt what might be raised in the discussions with Mr Mandela”. However, he added, Relly “has been looking forward for some time to the meeting, and was very pleased to accept Mr Mandela’s invitation.”

Interviewed by telephone at his London home, Bloom said he was ‘excited and delighted” at the prospect of meeting Mandela. “I have been watching the process unfold from here, on television,” he said. “Now my meeting will make the whole thing come alive.”

Bloom said he had been “Overwhelmingly impressed” by Mandela’s actions since his release. “He has been absolutely remarkable. I believe he hasn’t put a foot wrong’ It has been a magnificent performance.”

Bloom said the discussions would be open-ended, and discounted speculation that he might be considering a return to South Africa. “I said at the time of my departure for London (in 1988) that there were several personal reasons for leaving, besides politics. That hasn’t changed,” he said.

However he retained a strong interest in developments within South Africa, and did not rule out the possibility that if he were approached to
“help” in some advisory capacity, he would consider it.

In the interview with the Weekly Mail this week, Mandela came out strongly in favour of dialogue with businessmen and bankers.

Asked if he thought such discussions could be useful, particularly with regard to conditions for future investment, he said: “Why not? It is a natural thing to have discussions with businessmen— And our struggle has been supported by (some) businessmen from all over the world.

There is nothing so logical as meeting them, exchanging views and trying to allay their fears”. Sanctions and disinvestment were specific political tactics, he said, but “once this situation is settled investment in the country is the, normal development — we will want.”

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×