To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
28 Jan 2008 18:10
Congolese Tutsi rebels and Mai Mai militia clashed on Monday in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), breaking a ceasefire signed last week aimed at ending a long-running conflict, the two factions said.
Tutsi fighters loyal to renegade General Laurent Nkunda and Pareco Mai Mai militia, who both signed a peace accord last Wednesday, blamed each other for the fighting around villages 70km west of the town of Goma.
No details of casualties were immediately available and the United Nations peacekeeping mission in DRC said it could not confirm who had attacked first.
Nkunda’s rebel National Congress for the Defence of the People (CNDP) and the Pareco Mai Mai faction were among 25 armed groups that agreed to an immediate ceasefire in Wednesday’s accord, which was also signed by the Congolese government.
The UN and Western governments were hoping the pact, which followed more the two weeks of talks, would end conflict in eastern North and South Kivu provinces, which has persisted despite the formal end of DRC’s 1998 to 2003 war.
The latest fighting broke out near the villages of Lusirandaka and Kasake at dawn on Monday.
“This is a serious violation of the ceasefire that we’ve just signed,” Seraphin Mirindi, a military spokesperson for Nkunda, said.
“Pareco and FDLR [Rwandan Hutu rebels] tried to attack our soldiers. They even took some positions before we pushed them back.”
Pareco Mai Mai spokesperson Theophile Museveni blamed the attack on Nkunda’s CNDP.
“We signed [Wednesday’s accord], and we respect our commitment.
But if the CNDP do not respect what they signed, if they say they do not want peace, and if [the UN] does not want to react, we will have to defend ourselves,” he said.
As part of the ceasefire, peacekeepers of the 17 000-strong UN contingent in DRC have been deployed to create buffer zones between the rival eastern factions.
Long after the wider 1998 to 2003 war ended, fighting has raged on in the east, adding to a humanitarian catastrophe that has caused more deaths—5,4-million since 1998—than any other conflict since World War II, relief experts say.
Although Wednesday’s deal raised peace hopes, political analysts said its implementation, including the creation of a military technical commission to monitor the ceasefire, could still create problems.—Reuters
Create Account | Lost Your Password?