To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
06 Feb 2009 15:22
Pakistan will announce the results of its investigation into the Mumbai attacks next week, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Friday.
Gilani said last week his government was investigating what India has called evidence linking “elements” in Pakistan to the November attacks on its financial capital, in which 10 gunmen killed 165 people during a 60-hour siege.
“The investigation report will be presented to me by Monday, which will be made public on the same day or the next day,” Gilani told reporters in the eastern city of Lahore, where he was on a private visit.
New Delhi has blamed the attacks on the banned militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba, but the Pakistan-based organisation has denied responsibility.
Pakistan has confirmed that the lone surviving Mumbai gunman, now in Indian custody, is one of its citizens. But it says the attackers were “non-state actors.”
India on Thursday for the first time directly accused Pakistan’s military intelligence agency of involvement in the Mumbai attacks.
In a speech in Paris reported by the Indian media, Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon said the perpetrators “planned, trained and launched their attacks from Pakistan, and the organisers were and remain clients and creations of the ISI [Inter-Services Intelligence]”.
Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, when contacted for a response, said only: “We will issue a statement about it later.”
A four-year peace process to resolve the Indo-Pakistani dispute over the Himalayan region of Kashmir, which each rules in part but both claim in full, was put on hold after the Mumbai attacks.—AFP
Create Account | Lost Your Password?