Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

SA will crack down on rioters, warns Zuma

South African President Jacob Zuma said police will move swiftly to crack down on rioters after violent protests erupted this week over poor services and jobs.

Zuma told businessmen late on Thursday that although the government acknowledged problems with delivering basic services, looting, violence and the destruction of property cannot be justified.

The crisis is an early test for Zuma, who took office in May after pledging to do more to help the poor. Financial woes in Africa’s biggest economy have limited his ability to carry out that main plank of his party’s election manifesto.

Police fired rubber bullets and tear gas on Wednesday at township rioters calling for the removal of African National Congress (ANC) local officials who they accuse of corruption. Scores of protesters have been arrested.

”There can be no justification for violence, looting and destruction of property or attacks on foreign nationals residing in our country,” Zuma said.

”The law enforcement agencies will continue to act swiftly and to take action against all who break the law. They have our full support as they carry out their mandate to maintain law and order in our communities.”

The protests come as the government faces pressure from workers threatening strikes to back demands for higher wages.

A fuel sector union agreed to an improved 9,5% wage offer on Thursday but warned it may yet strike in sympathy with paper and chemical workers who downed tools this week.

Council workers are threatening to stay at home from Monday, action that could keep tens of thousands of local government employees at home, crippling the public sector. Gold and coal unions are considering a pay offer. If they reject it stoppages will hit some of the world’s biggest mines.

Zuma said economic conditions could make this year’s wage talks more complicated.

”Due to the current economic conditions, these negotiations may be more difficult this year. Employers and workers must negotiate in good faith and should be prepared to understand each other’s positions,” he said.

Police said calm had returned to Siyathemba township, southeast of Johannesburg, after four days of protests. Violence had spread to other townships around Johannesburg.

The scenes were reminiscent of attacks on foreigners last year that killed 62 people, and dented South Africa’s image less than a year before it hosts the soccer World Cup. — Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

‘People feel they have a stake in SAA’ — Gidon...

Interest in the beleaguered national carrier, which has received billions of rands in public funding, means criticism is inevitable

Soweto teacher dismissed for the alleged repeated rape of a...

The learner was 13 when the alleged rapes started, and they continued for two years until she asked to be moved to another school

More top stories

Hospitals near capacity: What the new Covid-19 restrictions mean for...

After a dramatic surge in Covid-19 infections, President Ramaphosa has brought the country back to level three restrictions

Eskom to take over distribution, billing at troubled Free State...

The Maluti-a-Phofung local municipality owes the power utility more than R5-billion

ANC committed to paying staff salaries, but employees are not...

ANC staffers picketed outside Luthuli House on Tuesday after months of problems with salary payments

Kanalelo Boloetsi: Taking on Lesotho’s cellphone giants, and winning

A man who took on cellphone data regulators over out-of-bundle rates is featured in this edition of a series on human rights defenders in the SADC region
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×