Suspects appear in court over De Doorns attacks
Twenty-four people appeared in the De Doorns periodical court on Monday for public violence following alleged xenophobic attacks in the area last week, Western Cape police said.
The 24 people were arrested on Thursday night following a public violence incident involving foreign workers they accused of taking their jobs, said Superintendent Desmond van der Westhuizen.
“They were remanded in custody and ordered to be back in court on November 30,” he said.
The public violence incident saw 3 000 people, mostly Zimbabweans, evacuating their shacks after locals claimed they were robbing them of jobs on farms in the area.
The foreign workers were also prevented from going to work last Thursday.
A day after the incident, Home Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma sent a delegation to the area to intervene.
There was a “specific mandate to assess and assist those immigrants who lost their basic documentation during the protests this week”, the department said in a statement on Friday.
The department said it would ensure any lost documents were replaced.—Sapa. .