Telkom CEO Reuben September to retire

Telkom group CEO Reuben September will retire from his position and resign his directorship at the expiry of his contract in November 2010.

In a statement on Friday, Telkom said a successor to September would be announced in due course.

“The depth of Telkom’s existing leadership experience and expertise will ensure that the period of transition will be a smooth one,” the communications company said.

It said that as group CEO, September’s vision in terms of Telkom’s transformation and growth imperatives was such that he became known as “an explorer of new frontiers; a leader who understood the changing nature of the ICT industry and who guided Telkom into areas with growth potential”.

His pivotal role in leading the disposal of the 50% interest in Vodacom, Telkom’s restructuring, the launch of Cybernest and Telkom’s entry into the mobile market later this year “attest to September’s strategic vision and leadership over many years”.

September joined the former Department of Posts and Telecommunications in 1977 as a pupil technician.

“Recognising his potential, the department gave him an opportunity to pursue his tertiary studies at the University of Cape Town, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical and electronic engineering, thus becoming the first black engineer to be employed by the department.”

Telkom said that during the past 33 years, September had assumed responsibility for a number of engineering and commercial positions, including managing executive for technology and network services, chief technical officer and chief operating officer.

“His long and distinguished career culminated in his appointment as acting CEO [April 2007] before becoming Telkom’s CEO in November 2007.”

He was appointed as a director of the board in May 2007 and he also served as a director of Vodacom. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Stella set to retain her perks

Communication minister will keep Cabinet perks during her two months of special leave

Not a sweet deal, Mister

Mister Sweet workers say they will not risk their health, and the lives of others, to continue producing and packaging confectionaries

Covid-19 grounds Nigeria’s medical tourists

The country’s elites, including the president, travelled abroad for treatment but now they must use the country’s neglected health system

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Press Releases

Rahima Moosa Hospital nursing college introduces no-touch facial recognition access system

The new system allows the hospital to enrol people’s faces immediately, using artificial intelligence, and integrates easily with existing access control infrastructure, including card readers and biometrics

Everyone’s talking about it. Even Kentucky

Earlier this year South African fried chicken fast-food chain, Chicken Licken®, launched a campaign for their wallet-friendly EasyBucks® meals, based on the idea of ‘Everyone’s talking about it.’

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world