MTN shares surge after Orascom talks fail

Shares in Africa’s biggest cellphone operator, MTN, rose more than 4% on Thursday after the collapse of talks with Egypt’s Orascom Telecom about a potential acquisition.

MTN shares gained as much as 4,44% to R105,90. By 7.32am GMT, the stock was trading 3,24% higher.

MTN and Orascom Telecom said in separate statements on Wednesday that talks had been called off, sinking a deal that could have created the world’s third-largest mobile operator.

Shareholders of MTN have again been let down after the South Africa-based group failed to do a deal four times in the last three years, Frost & Sullivan analyst Lindsey McDonald said.

“What is clear, though, is that there can be little doubt that MTN shareholders are growing impatient and there is now likely to be a great deal of pressure on the group’s executive management to deliver new growth streams and revenues,” Mc Donald said.

Africa’s top cellphone operator began talks in late April about acquiring Orascom or some of its assets. The deal was complicated by Algeria’s government, which wants to buy Orascom’s unit in that country.

Without the cash-generating Algerian unit, Djezzy, the deal would have little meaning for MTN, which is desperate to expand and needs a foothold in North Africa.

McDonald said there were still some investment opportunities for MTN in Africa.

“It is now up to management to decide whether they are going to follow their traditional approach of acquiring an entire group, or if they would consider the purchase of a telecoms company operating in a single market.” — Reuters

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.


The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday