Transnet: Gama is out

Transnet Freight Rail chief executive Siyabonga Gama was “summarily dismissed” on Tuesday.

This was in line with the recommendations by the independent chairperson of a disciplinary committee that found him guilty of misconduct, Transnet said in a statement.

Gama’s employment at Transnet Freight Rail was terminated with immediate effect and he was served with notice of his dismissal on Tuesday afternoon.

This paved the way for the company to make permanent appointments instead of the acting posts necessitated by Gama’s suspension.

“The closure of this matter enables Transnet’s top management to focus exclusively on the running of the business,” it said.

Gama was dismissed after he was found guilty of all charges of misconduct brought against him. They included one “of an irretrievable breakdown in his relationship with Transnet”. It was added during the disciplinary hearing and was a result of “sustained public attacks” by Gama through his attorney on the company’s board and executive.

The other charges related to two procurement contracts signed under Gama’s watch — one for security services and the other for the refurbishment of 50 trains.

Gama was suspended late last year to face charges relating to the allocation of the refurbishing contract to Sibanye Trade Services, which allegedly lacked experience.

Gama, who only had authority to sign off on contracts valued at less than R10-million, allegedly awarded a R19-million contract to a security firm with alleged links to Communications Minister Siphiwe Nyanda.

An application to have his suspension lifted was dismissed with costs by the high court in Johannesburg in October last year. — Sapa

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Mkhwebane would not hear of Gupta links to Estina: witness

The suspended public protector told him she would pleased if the probe into the scam delivered no adverse findings, Reginald Ndou tells inquiry

Editorial: The ANC won’t listen to its own conscience, the...

The party’s top officials seem to have no real inclination to follow through with the integrity commission’s recommendations on corruption

Nxesi: The changing definition of work demands a review of...

The labour minister noted many informal workers had been excluded from the country’s Covid-19 relief scheme

Tazné van Wyk murder accused admits to absconding parole

Moyhdian Pangkaeker evaded the justice system for about four years during which time he twice absconded while on parole. He faces 27 charges, 24 of which he allegedly committed while on parole.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×