Mandela crash driver's case postponed

The case against the 23-year-old man accused of killing Nelson Mandela’s great granddaughter in a car crash was postponed to August 27 by the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

This was to allow for further investigation and feedback on an outstanding forensic report.

The accused Sizwe Mankazana was with his parents in court, along with several government officials. He wore a grey suit and was seen to occasionally smile.

Mankazana faces charges of drunk driving and culpable homicide after 13-year-old Zenani Zanethemba Nomasonto Mandela was killed in a car crash after the World Cup opening concert in Soweto.

She was the great granddaughter of Nelson Mandela and the granddaughter of Zindzi Mandela, the daughter of Winnie Madikizela-Mandela.

Mankazana is the son of Zwelakhe Mankazana, who is in a relationship with Zindzi.

Zwelakhe Mankazana is a businessman with interests in mining and is also a director of cellphone company Cell C.

The family said Sizwe deeply regretted the death of Zenani and was cooperating with police investigating the fatal accident south of Johannesburg.

The Nelson Mandela Foundation had said previously that Mankazana junior was the driver of the car when it crashed.

The tragedy came less than 12 hours before gates opened for the first Soccer World Cup match between South Africa and Mexico. Mandela had planned to attend at least part of the game.

The death is the latest tragedy to hit the Nobel laureate, one of whose sons died of Aids while another died in a car crash during Mandela’s 27 years in jail.—Sapa

.

Client Media Releases

SA political parties talk foreign policy
Barloworld announces new group structure
Should I stay or should I grow?
Use Microsoft's eDiscovery for non-Office 365 data sources