Mandela crash driver’s case postponed

The case against the 23-year-old man accused of killing Nelson Mandela’s great granddaughter in a car crash was postponed to August 27 by the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

This was to allow for further investigation and feedback on an outstanding forensic report.

The accused Sizwe Mankazana was with his parents in court, along with several government officials. He wore a grey suit and was seen to occasionally smile.

Mankazana faces charges of drunk driving and culpable homicide after 13-year-old Zenani Zanethemba Nomasonto Mandela was killed in a car crash after the World Cup opening concert in Soweto.

She was the great granddaughter of Nelson Mandela and the granddaughter of Zindzi Mandela, the daughter of Winnie Madikizela-Mandela.


Mankazana is the son of Zwelakhe Mankazana, who is in a relationship with Zindzi.

Zwelakhe Mankazana is a businessman with interests in mining and is also a director of cellphone company Cell C.

The family said Sizwe deeply regretted the death of Zenani and was cooperating with police investigating the fatal accident south of Johannesburg.

The Nelson Mandela Foundation had said previously that Mankazana junior was the driver of the car when it crashed.

The tragedy came less than 12 hours before gates opened for the first Soccer World Cup match between South Africa and Mexico. Mandela had planned to attend at least part of the game.

The death is the latest tragedy to hit the Nobel laureate, one of whose sons died of Aids while another died in a car crash during Mandela’s 27 years in jail. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts

Battle over R6bn workers’ retirement fund

Allegations from both sides tumble out in court papers

Nigeria’s anti-corruption boss arrested for corruption

Ibrahim Magu’s arrest by the secret police was a surprise — but also not surprising

Eskom refers employees suspected of contracts graft for criminal investigations

The struggling power utility has updated Parliament on investigations into contracts where more than R4-billion was lost in overpayments
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday