To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
04 Jan 2011 13:01
Nigerian terror accused, Henry Okah, would appeal against a decision to deny him bail in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said.
“They will argue at the Randburg court today,” National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Mthunzi Mhaga said.
Okah was denied bail in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court late last year.
He faces charges of terrorism, relating to the October 1 twin car bombing in Abuja, Nigeria which killed 12 people and injured 36.
Okah failed to convince the court that he was not the leader of the Movement for the emancipation of Niger Delta (Mend), which claimed responsibility for the Independence Day bombings.
His brother Charles and three others were also denied bail in a Nigerian court for the same incident.
The four were also charged for allegedly kidnapping four Indian, three French and two Russian oil workers between August and October last year.
Okah was in custody in Johannesburg Prison.—Sapa
Create Account | Lost Your Password?