ArcelorMittal sees pricing dispute hearing in 2012

ArcelorMittal South Africa said on Friday it expects arbitration proceedings relating to its stake in Kumba Iron Ore’s Sishen mine to be heard early next year.

The steelmaker, a unit of the world’s biggest steelmaker, has been at loggerheads with Kumba, a unit of Anglo American, over iron ore prices since February last year.

The dispute started after Kumba terminated a long-term deal under which it sold ore to the steelmaker at a discount after ArcelorMittal failed to convert its rights over a 21.4% stake in the Sishen mine into a new right as required by law.

“It is expected that the arbitration relating to the dispute with [Sishen] will be heard in early 2012,” ArcelorMittal SA said in a statement.

Pending a resolution of the dispute the two companies reached an interim agreement valid until the end of July this year for ArcelorMittal to source iron ore from Kumba at about half of the market price.

ArcelorMittal SA has said it would negotiate with Kumba to extend the interim pricing deal until the dispute is resolved.

The company is also attempting to buy little-known mining firm Imperial Crown Trading (ICT) after that company won a prospecting right to a stake in Kumba’s Sishen mine.

ArcelorMittal SA has also said it would transfer about a quarter of its shares to black investors, including ICT and an investment group led by the son of South African President Jacob Zuma.

“The period for the satisfaction of conditions precedent for the BEE transaction has expired and the parties are in the process of extending it,” the company said.

As of 0945 GMT, shares in the steelmaker were trading up 1,02% at R87,90, compared with a 0,33% fall in the Johannesburg’s blue-chip Top-40 index. — Reuters

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Afcon: Ghana’s Black Stars need a fresh start and a...

Ghana have failed to reach the Afcon’s knockout stages for the first time since 2006. With the World Cup qualifiers on the horizon, some soul-searching is required if they are to go to Qatar.

Motsepe blames closed gate for Afcon tragedy

A child was among the dead, while 38 were injured as fans attempted to enter the Olembe Stadium where the hosts Cameroon were playing the Comoros, according to figures released by the country's health ministry.

Summer in the Cederberg region is rooibos harvest season

International demand for rooibos is expected to grow exponentially, according to the South African Rooibos Council

Winde does not rule out criminal charges against suspended Western...

An independent legal counsel will investigate allegations made against the Democratic Alliance’s Fritz, and criminal charges are not out of the question
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×