I didn’t say Qatar was corrupt, says Fifa’s Valcke

Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke denied suggesting Qatar’s 2022 bid team were guilty of corruption on Monday in an email sent to scandal-tainted vice-president Jack Warner.

Warner had released segments of an email in which Valcke indicated he believed Qatar had “bought” the hosting rights to the 2022 event.

However Valcke, who had earlier confirmed the authenticity of the email, said he had been referring to the financial resources used by Qatar’s bid team in successfully winning the race for the tournament.

“I’d like to clarify that I may use in an email a ‘lighter’ way of expression by nature — a much less formal tone than in any form of correspondence,” Valcke said in a statement.

“Having said that, when I refer to the 2022 Fifa World Cup in that email, what I wanted to say is that the winning bid used their financial strength to lobby for support.


“They were a candidate with a very important budget and have used it to heavily promote their bid all around the world in a very efficient manner.

“I have at no time made, or was intending to make, any reference to any purchase of votes or similar unethical behaviour.”

Qatar bid officials had earlier reacted furiously to the leak of the Valcke email, “categorically denying” any wrongdoing.

“Qatar 2022 categorically deny any wrongdoing in connection with their winning bid,” the bid committee said in a statement.

“We are urgently seeking clarification from Fifa about the statement from their general secretary [Jerome Valcke].

“In the meantime we are taking legal advice to consider our options.” — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

The South African connection: How mercenaries aided Trump ally in...

The UN found that Trump ally Erik Prince violated the Libyan arms embargo. Here are the South Africans the report says helped him to do so

Q&A Sessions: African court ‘will be a tough job’ — Dumisa...

Lawyer, author and political activist Dumisa Ntsebeza talks to Nicolene de Wee about his appointment as judge of the African Court on Human and...

More top stories

In a bizarre twist VBS liquidators sue KPMG for R863mn

In filed court documents, the VBS liquidators are blaming auditing firm KPMG’s negligence for the alleged looting of the bank

Snip, snip: Mboweni eyes wage bill, other future spending cuts

Last year, the finance minister noted that increased government spending has failed to promote growth over the past decade

Budget: Mboweni pegs recovery hopes on vaccine efficacy, lower public...

The treasury forecasts 3.3% growth, but warns this will fall to 1.6% if the fledgeling vaccination programme fails to stem successive Covid waves

READ IT IN FULL: Mboweni’s 2021 budget speech

Read the finance minister's address on the budget for 2021
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…