Mbalula still keen on Olympic bid

Minister of Sport Fikile Mbalula said on Tuesday he still wants the country to bid for the 2020 Olympic Games despite a Cabinet decision last month to instead spend money on services for the poor.

Mbalula said he hopes to convince his colleagues in President Jacob Zuma’s Cabinet to revisit plans for an Olympic bid, which the government vetoed after estimating it would cost $50-million.

“The bidding process is quite open. If we’re able to persuade government otherwise and turn around things, then we’ll still be able to announce [a bid],” Mbalula told journalists.

Mbalula collapsed at the May 25 Cabinet meeting where plans for a bid were scrapped and was later hospitalised with what the government described as “flu-like” symptoms.

He said Tuesday: “From our own point of view, the struggle continues.


“It’s not all lost.”

Mbalula was speaking at a briefing on preparations for a meeting of the International Olympic Committee in Durban next month, where the host city for the 2018 Winter Olympics will be announced.

Likely bidder
Durban had been tipped as a likely bidder for the 2020 Games after winning praise as a host city during the Soccer World Cup last year.

But the South African government said it would rather spend money creating jobs and improving services like water and electricity.

“If any money is going to be spent, it’s going to be on basic service delivery,” government spokesperson Jimmy Manyi said.

South Africa poured $5-billion into the first Soccer World Cup in Africa and largely overcame fears about crime and poor transportation to host a widely applauded tournament.

But the country struggles to provide basic services and faces a 25% unemployment rate, issues that have sparked major protests in poor communities in recent years.

Cape Town sought in 1997 to become the first African host of the Olympics, but when it failed to win the 2004 Games the country turned its focus to the World Cup.

Candidates for 2020 must submit their bids to the IOC by September 1. The host city will be chosen in Buenos Aires in September 2013.

Doha, Istanbul, Rome, Tokyo and South Korea’s Busan have all shown interest in hosting the event. — AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

The case against Floyd Shivambu

The flow of money from VBS Bank would seem to suggest that the EFF’s second-in-command was an ultimate beneficiary of proceeds of a crime

Cabinet reshuffle rumours: Unlikely to happen any time soon, but…

Persistent rumours of a cabinet reshuffle may be jumping the gun, but they do reflect the political realignment taking place within the ANC

Nigeria’s anti-corruption boss arrested for corruption

Ibrahim Magu’s arrest by the secret police was a surprise — but also not surprising

Eskom refers employees suspected of contracts graft for criminal investigations

The struggling power utility has updated Parliament on investigations into contracts where more than R4-billion was lost in overpayments
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday