‘Govt isn’t trying to block Walmart-Massmart deal’

South Africa is not seeking to overturn its competition regulators’ approval of Walmart buying control of local retailer Massmart but does want tougher conditions for the deal, Business Day reported on Monday.

Walmart finalised its $2.4-billion purchase of 51% of discount retailer Massmart on June 20, after winning approval with minimal conditions from South Africa’s Competition Tribunal.

It was reported last week that the government was appealing against the tribunal’s decision and wanted the court to either set aside the ruling or send the matter back for further consideration.

But Business Day quoted Department of Trade and Industry director general Lionel October as saying the government wants the antitrust authority to increase potential penalties for the companies if jobs are lost or local products are swamped by a surge in imports.

“The thrust is not blocking the merger any more. We’re more looking at the condition they gave,” October was quoted as saying.


One option being considered was to change the conditions of the R100-million fund to help local suppliers which was part of the deal.

October said if it could be shown that jobs were lost because Walmart was not buying from the local supply chain, then the US retailer would have a duty to improve on the programme. — Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Ithala fails to act against board chairperson over PPE scandal

Morar asked to settle with the state and pay back the profit he made on an irregular tender

Vodacom swindled out of more than R24m worth of iPhones

A former employee allegedly ran an intricate scam to steal 8700 phones from the cellular giant

More top stories

Austerity budget unpacked

The finance minister has said it’s not an austerity project. But the numbers and economists disagree

Will job creation schemes fix the unemployment crisis?

Experts say there is no evidence yet to show that government-funded employment schemes work long term

Will Cyril Ramaphosa have one or two terms?

The threat to the president’s rule comes not from the opposition, but from within the ANC

New VC wants Wits to produce innovators

Zeblon Vilakazi’s big dream is that Africa cannot simply be a spectator in the age of technological innovation; it must lead, and to lead it must act
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…