MTN shares fall after Iran bribery, nuclear support claims

Shares of South Africa’s MTN Group tumbled nearly 4% in early trade on Friday, after it said it faces a potential lawsuit from Turkey’s Turkcell over its licence in Iran.

Shares of MTN, Africa’s largest mobile operator, were down 3.9% at R133 at 7.09am GMT.

MTN said after the close of trade on Thursday it faces a lawsuit from Turkcell, which claimed Africa’s largest telecom group asked South Africa to back Iran’s nuclear development in return for a cellular licence in the country.

The Johannesburg-based company said in a statement the Turkish mobile operator, which unsuccessfully bid for the same licence, will also claim that MTN asked South Africa to aid Iran’s military and that it bribed officials of both governments.

Turkcell plans to file the charges in a US court and the claim amount would be “material”, MTN said.


Officials for Turkcell were not immediately available for comment.

MTN said that none of the claims had been substantiated and the charges lacked legal merit.

MTN chairperson Cyril Ramaphosa, a leading member of the ruling African National Congress and a well known businessman, said in a separate statement the company would set up a special committee to investigate the charges.

“MTN has zero tolerance for corrupt and unethical business practices,” he said.

MTN, a $33-billion mobile company with operations in 21 countries across Africa and the Middle East, is one of South Africa’s most prominent companies.

MTN is a major player in Iran, where it has over 32-million subscribers and makes nearly 10% of its revenue.

Shares in the company have faced some selling in recent weeks on speculation that its business in Iran could be impacted by US sanctions.

But a spokesperson for MTN told Reuters last week that its operations in Iran were continuing as normal. — Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

High court puts temporary halt on R500-million tablet tender

State technology agency wins first battle in IT tender war, with court to hear rest of the matter on urgent basis

Where do Africans study abroad?

China is becoming the preferred destination for countries such as Ghana and Nigeria

Iraqi rivers under threat from dams in Iran and Turkey

This year, an unprecedented fiscal crunch caused by low oil prices forced the government to suspend infrastructure investments. But new dams alone won’t save Iraq’s waterways, experts warn.

The orchestrators of the world’s worst humanitarian crisis in Yemen

As the crisis continues to unfold, the biggest threat may be the vested interest in maintaining the civil war Therefore, with no end in sight to the conflict plaguing the nation, the question worth asking is: who benefits from a Yemen at war?

Inside Facebook’s big bet on Africa

New undersea cables will massively increase bandwidth to the continent

Faster, cheaper data is here – but not for long

There are factors such as exchange rates, electricity costs, security free and fuel prices that are contributors, but additional spectrum will certainly bring about significant change in the local industry
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Mboweni plans to freeze public sector wage increases for the...

The mid-term budget policy statement delivered by the finance minister proposes cutting all non-interest spending by R300-billion.

SAA to receive R10.5-billion government bailout after all

Several struggling state-owned entities received extra funds after the medium term budget policy speech

Malawi court judges win global prize

Members of the small African country’s judiciary took a stand for democracy to international approval
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday