Press ombud confirms rise in newspaper complaints

There was a 70% increase over the last three years in the number of complaints about incorrect or unethical newspaper reports, the Press Council’s Ombudsman reported to editors at a meeting in Cape Town on Saturday.

Speaking at a council meeting of the SA National Editors’ Forum, deputy Press Ombud Johan Retief said complaints grew from 150 in 2009 to 213 in 2010 and to 255 in 2011.

The newspaper industry’s system of self-regulation on complaints via the Press Council and ombudsman system has come under attack in recent years, particularly by the governing African National Congress, which maintains it does not work effectively and is toothless.

The party said the establishment of a statutory Media Appeals Tribunal should be investigated. The newspaper industry has reacted by establishing the Press Freedom Commission of experts from a spectrum of society to investigate various models of press regulation and make recommendations by the end of March.

The ombudsman’s office has previously attributed the increase in complaints to heightened public awareness of its office as a result of the political debate on newspapers’ ethics.

Majority of findings against newspapers
It pointed out that the majority of its findings went against newspapers.

Retief also reported to editors that 53 complaints had been received between mid-November and the end of January this year.

The ombudsman’s findings as published on the internet in 2011 totalled 76.

There was no backlog of cases, although 60 cases were pending.

Thirteen complaints were dismissed out of hand, including one by Democratic Alliance leader Helen Zille attempting to have the ombudsman stop the Independent Newspapers group from publishing an ANC celebrations supplement.

See www.presscouncil.org.za for details of the findings. –Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Stay at home, Cyril said. But what about the homeless?

In Tshwane, forcing homeless people off the street resulted in chaos and the abuse of a vulnerable population. In Durban, a smooth, well-planned operation fared far better

Press Releases

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders