Standard Bank slashes stake in Turkey’s Unlu

Standard Bank says it will reduce its stake in Turkish venture Standard Unlu to 25% from 67%, the latest move by the lender to scale back non-African operations.

The deal, whose value remains undisclosed, will increase the Turkish partner in the venture, Mahmut Unlu, holding to 75% stake, according to a press release.

Africa’s biggest bank is downsizing its overseas operations and turning its focus on the fast-growing but under-served continent.

It sold its 36% stake in Russia’s Troika Dialog last year for $372-million and raked in a further $600-million by reducing its stakes in three Argentine operations to 20%.

“They are moving towards their plan of focusing on Africa. It is consistent with that strategy,” said Faizal Moolla, an analyst at Avior Research in Cape Town.

“I don’t think it [money] will be returned to shareholders, they will either use it to grow their advances or make an acquisition in Africa, in particular in Nigeria.”

Johannesburg-based Standard has operations in at least 17 Sub-Saharan markets including a new licence in South Sudan and has said it no longer has ambitions to buy or build commercial banking operations outside of Africa.

It posted a 21% increase in full-year profit, boosted partly by turning its attention on to the largely undeserved Africa.

Standard, which is 20% owned by Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, intends to spend up to $300-million this year growing four of its key sub-Saharan business; Kenya, Angola, Zambia and Ghana.

Standard Bank’s shares are up 1.6% at R113.03 at 10.21am, compared with a 0.21% decline by Johannesburg blue chip index. — Reuters

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Tension over who’s boss of courts

In a letter, Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng questions whether Justice Minister Ronald Lamola has acted constitutionally

SABC sued over ‘bad’ clip of Ramaphosa

A senior employee at the public broadcaster wants compensation for claims of ‘sabotage’

Soundtrack to a pandemic: Africa’s best coronavirus songs

Drawing on lessons from Ebola, African artists are using music to convey public health messaging. And they are doing it in style

In East Africa, the locusts are coming back for more

In February the devastating locust swarms were the biggest seen in East Africa for 70 years. Now they’re even bigger

Press Releases

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders