Sudan promises swift reaction to attacks

Sudan vowed on Tuesday to react with “all means” against a three-pronged attack it said South Sudanese forces launched against South Kordofan state.

“The government of Sudan announces after this attack that it will react by all means,” a statement on the official SUNA news agency said, warning of “destruction” in the South.

The statement came after Sudan carried out new airstrikes inside South Sudan and rival armies exchanged artillery fire in their latest round of fighting in contested border regions.

An Agence France-Presse correspondent in the South Sudanese frontline village of Tashwin heard heavy artillery shelling and multiple airstrikes lasting for around an hour, with one bomb dropped by aircraft landing less than a kilometre away.

The statement on SUNA claimed that South Sudanese forces backed by rebel groups launched their main attack in Sudan’s key oil-producing region of Heglig.

It did not specify which rebels but the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) has been battling government troops in South Kordofan since June.

Denials
Sudan has also previously alleged that Darfuri rebels were operating in the Heglig area.

South Sudan has denied backing opposition groups in the north.

Clashes broke out two weeks ago between Sudan and South Sudan along their undemarcated and disputed frontier in the Heglig area, with each side blaming the other.

It was the most serious unrest since the South gained independence from Khartoum last July, after Africa’s longest civil war.

International fears have mounted of a return to full-blown conflict and the clashes led to crisis talks in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa last week.

Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir on Monday accused the South of involvement in recent attacks inside his country but said Khartoum is nonetheless committed to negotiations. — Sapa-AFP

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

South Africa has been junked

Treasury says the credit ratings downgrade “could not have come at a worse time”, as country enters a 21-day Covid-19 lockdown with little money saved up

Mail & Guardian needs your help

Our job is to help give you the information we all need to participate in building this country, while holding those in power to account. But now the power to help us keep doing that is in your hands

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories