Cell C to get $180m cash boost

The cash boost is meant to go towards improving the coverage and quality of the unit’s network, Dubai-based Oger said.
 
Cell C has about 1% of the mobile market in Africa’s top economy, but is a distant third to MTN and Vodacom and earlier this year its newly appointed chief executive was reported as saying the firm’s strategy would be to take customers from its larger rivals.
 
To facilitate this, majority shareholder Oger will inject $180-million into Cell C.
 
“The funding will be used to support the company’s plans, which include the funding of new products and enhancing the quality and coverage of Cell C’s network,” Oger said in an emailed statement.
 
The investment will not alter Oger’s 75% holding in Cell C, with the remaining 25% owned by black empowerment group CellSaf.
 
Cell C carries about 87% of its traffic on its own network, covering 92% of the population and about 35% of South Africa’s geography, according to its website.
 
Oger, part of Saudi Arabia’s Oger group, also holds a 55% stake in Turk Telekom. – Reuters
Advertisting

‘We’re satisfied with SA’s land reform policy’— US Ambassador

Top US official is lobbying multinational firms to invest in South Africa

Hosni Mubarak is dead, but the Egypt he built is...

Despite the efforts of the Arab Spring, Egypt is still led by a military dictatorship made in Mubarak’s image

Inside the Security Branch: Torture between brandy and boerewors

A former SB operative, Paul Erasmus, talks about the torture of a young trade unionist, Neil Aggett, and the machinations at John Vorster Square
Advertising

Press Releases

South Africa’s education system is broken and unequal, and must be fixed without further delay

The Amnesty International report found that the South African government continues to miss its own education upgrading targets

Business travel industry generates billions

Meetings Africa is ready to take advantage of this lucrative opportunity

Conferences connect people to ideas

The World Expo and Meetings Africa are all about stimulating innovation – and income

SAB Zenzele Kabili B-BBEE share scheme

New scheme to be launched following the biggest B-BBEE FMCG payout in South Africa’s history

TFSAs are the gymnasts of the retirement savings world

The idea is to get South Africans to save, but it's best to do your research first to find out if a TFSA is really suited to your needs

Achieving the litmus test of social relevance

The HSS Awards honours scholarly works based on their social relevance and contribution to the humanities and social sciences

Making sense of tax-free savings and investment

Have you made the most of your tax-free investment contributions?

Response to the report of the independent assessors

VUT welcomes the publishing of the report of the independent assessors to investigate concerns of poor governance, leadership, management, corruption and fraud at the university.