Men found guilty of Danish cartoons murder plot

The three Swedish nationals and one Tunisian living in Sweden had pleaded not guilty to the terrorism charges but a district court found all four “guilty of terrorism”, chief judge Katrine Eriksen said in the unanimous verdict, which was broadcast live.

Sahbi Ben Mohamed Zalouti, Munir Awad and Omar Abdalla Aboelazm – all Swedish citizens of Tunisian, Lebanese and Moroccan origin, respectively – and Tunisian national Mounir Ben Mohamed Dhahri were found not guilty of a secondary charge of weapons possession due to a technicality, she said.

Prosecutors had charged that the four planned to “kill a large number of people” at the offices of the Jyllands-Posten newspaper in Copenhagen when they were arrested on December 29 2010.

The daily paper in 2005 published a dozen cartoons of Islam’s founding prophet that triggered violent and sometimes deadly protests around the world.

The court was set to hand down its sentence later on Monday, and the four, aged 31 to 46, risk up to 16 years behind bars – which would be historically severe punishment for such a case in Denmark, where conspiracy to commit terrorism until now has been punished with no more than 12 years prison.

‘We were very close’
Prosecutor Gyrithe Ulrich told Jyllands-Posten on Monday that “this case is different from other cases and should result in a stricter penalty.

“They were close to carrying out [the attack]. This was not just initial preparations as we have seen in other cases,” she said. “In this case we were very close.”

A machine-gun with a silencer, a revolver, 108 bullets, 200 plastic handcuff strips and $20 000 were among the items found in the men’s possession when they were arrested.

Danish police, who had been collaborating with their Swedish counterparts and had been wiretapping the men, said they swooped on them just after hearing them say they were going to the Jyllands-Posten office building, which also houses Denmark’s paper of reference, Politiken.

The four all adamantly denied the terrorism charge but Dhahri pleaded guilty to arms possession.

Plot
Awad, Aboelazm and Dhahri were all arrested in a Copenhagen suburb, while Zalouti was arrested near Stockholm the same day.

Prosecutors said during the trial that the target of the suspected plot was likely an award ceremony celebrating the “Sporting Newcomer of the Year” at the Jyllands-Posten building.

In addition to a number of sports celebrities, Danish Crown Prince Frederik was present at the ceremony, but prosecutors said the four did not appear to have known he was there and that he was probably not their target.

During the trial, prosecutors also charged that the men had been planning on attacking other random buildings if they were unable to get into the newspaper building.

Jyllands-Posten has been the target of a string of attempted and plotted attacks, and remains a top target for Islamic extremists, Danish intelligence service PET said at the end of January. – Sapa-AFP

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

South Africa has been junked

Treasury says the credit ratings downgrade “could not have come at a worse time”, as country enters a 21-day Covid-19 lockdown with little money saved up

Mail & Guardian needs your help

Our job is to help give you the information we all need to participate in building this country, while holding those in power to account. But now the power to help us keep doing that is in your hands

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories