Mafika Sihlali: A man ‘in a hurry’ to succeed

He had been drawn into a scandal where none existed, Mafika Sihlali said in a letter to the Mail & Guardian in 2009. Despite the best efforts of a “bitter individual” at the SABC, procedural failings by the auditor general and “spirited articles” by the M&G since 2007, the Hawks had refused to prosecute him.

But on February 15 2012, the Hawks police unit said it had invited Sihlali to its offices and arrested him on charges of fraud and corruption. After many years of denying allegations that he had been instrumental in ripping off first the South African Post Office and then the SABC, and court cases that included a gag order against the SABC and an attempt to interdict it from suspending him, Sihlali had to pay R15 000 in bail before he could walk free again – for the time being.

The charges against him stem from a report initiated by the SABC in February 2007 following complaints from a union that he was defrauding the public broadcaster. An initial report found evidence of conflicts of interest, suspect deals, doctored invoices and up to R1.8-million in fraudulent payments. Subsequent investigations by the Hawks uncovered what the unit says is strong evidence that Sihlali outsourced legal services to a company that belonged to a friend and then allegedly received R2.5-million in kickbacks laundered through a football club he owned.

The alleged kickback arrangement and other irregularities were traced back to just weeks after Sihlali took up his post as the head of legal affairs at the SABC.

The case against him is now before the Commercial Crime Court.


This has not been Sihlali’s only brush with controversy, however. He has been involved in at least two empowerment vehicles that concluded deals with Telkom and Deutsche Bank and his law firm was accused of overbilling the post office to the tune of R6-million for work that was never delivered. He has persistently denied all allegations of wrongdoing and conflicts of interest.

That he doesn’t always follow all the rules in pursuit of wealth is certain, according to those who have crossed paths with him over the past decade, but they also describe him as a hands-on man willing to work hard and make sacrifices in pursuit of money.

“He was a man in a hurry for success and he was willing to do what it took,” said one former colleague. And for a while his law firm made good – it had prestigious offices and a list of high-profile corporate clients. Then, somewhere around 2005, the money started to run out and unpaid bills started to mount. By 2010, lawyers who had defended Sihlali against claims for money were themselves obtaining judgments against him for unpaid fees.

The elusive Mafika Sihlali
Despite the movement restrictions imposed by the fact he is out on bail, Mafika Sihlali is a hard man to find. “He does that; he always goes to ground,” said a lawyer who has worked with Sihlali. “He changes his cellphone numbers and then nobody can find him.”

Over the course of several days the Mail & Guardian tried to reach Sihlali on four cellphone numbers and six landline numbers. We spoke to four lawyers who have had professional dealings with him and to three former colleagues, three (apparent) family members, two people who had been involved in business disputes with him and a former classmate. All said they had had no dealings with Sihlali for years and most – even those who had only good things to say about him – were not happy to be quoted.

“Under normal circumstances I wouldn’t hesitate to speak to you on the record, but being as dangerous as he is … well, he is a very dangerous man,” said one.

Several said they had not parted with Sihlali on good terms, often because he had allegedly not repaid money he owed them. Others said they had been paid in full for their services and described an ­outgoing, even jovial man, but even they had heard stories that made them unwilling to defend him.

Some of these stories are well documented. In March 2007, according to a subsequent complaint, Sihlali said he would break the legs of (female) SABC company secretary Ramani Naidoo, in front of at least one witness. Others at the SABC refused to co-operate with or provide statements to investigators looking into complaints about him. When the home of one investigator was mysteriously set alight, rumours abounded about a link. Those rumours dog him to this day.

“If I spoke to you, I’d have to look over my shoulder all the time,” said a man who had ­business dealings with Sihlali. “I have a family to think of here.”

– Phillip de Wet

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Phillip De Wet
Guest Author

Related stories

Editorial: Political meddling won’t save the SABC

For years, in moves that harked back to the repressive regime of the Nats, the public broadcaster has been used by the party as its political football in internal factional battles, or to censor dissent.

Unions cry foul over SABC dismissal costs and retrenchments

Broadcaster bodies say claims that a recent skills audit is unrelated to retrenchments are ‘irrational’

Political interference mounts over SABC retrenchments

The SABC says it needs to cut R700-million to survive. But senior politicians have allegedly interfered to stop retrenchments from proceeding

SABC staff ready to join picket line

The national broadcaster has rejected claims that it did not follow correct retrenchment and audit processes

SABC plans to retrench 600 employees

Broadcaster cites “poor sales effectiveness, ineffective commercial product, old pricing models and inadequate technology infrastructure” as driving cuts

The recovered remain cautious

People who have survived Covid-19 are not going through life carefree. They are still taking all the preventative measures
Advertising

Subscribers only

Covid-19 surges in the Eastern Cape

With people queuing for services, no water, lax enforcement of mask rules and plenty of partying, the virus is flourishing once again, and a quarter of the growth is in the Eastern Cape

Ace prepares ANC branches for battle

ANC secretary general Ace Magashule is ignoring party policy on corruption-charged officials and taking his battle to branch level, where his ‘slate capture’ strategy is expected to leave Ramaphosa on the ropes

More top stories

‘We struggle for water, but power stations and coal mines...

A proposed pipeline will bring water polluted with Gauteng’s sewage to the Waterberg in Limpopo to boost the coal industry during the climate crisis

Journey through anxious Joburg

A new book has collected writing about the condition of living, yes, with a high crime rate, but also other, more pervasive existential urban stresses particular to the Global South

Football legend Maradona dies

The Argentinian icon died at his home on Wednesday, two weeks after having surgery on a blood clot in his brain

Covid vaccines: Hope balanced with caution

As Covid vaccines near the manufacturing stage, a look at two polio vaccines provides valuable historical insights
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…