AMCU lays blame for union violence at NUM’s door

"It's totally incorrect that they [NUM] have been victims. They are the perpetrators of this violence," said Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union vice-president Jeff Mthahmeme on Monday evening. "Four of our members on Saturday were shot at, and two of them have since died."

Mthahmeme said it was a trend of NUM that when it lost membership it brought violence and threw people into disarray.

Nine people, including two police officers, have been killed due to the violence which began on Friday.

Violence at the Lonmin mine has been linked to clashes between members of NUM and AMCU, which are reportedly fighting for control of local mines.

'Alarmed'
Earlier on Monday, NUM condemned the violence and called for immediate action from the police.


"[We are] alarmed at that the escalating violence has been allowed to continue unabated by the law enforcement agencies in that area in North West Province," said NUM general secretary Frans Baleni.

"We call for the deployment of a special task force or the SANDF to deal decisively with the criminal elements in Rustenburg and its surrounding mine."

Baleni dismissed statements that was a rivalry attack and said the NUM was a victim of AMCU.

Scores of other people have been injured in the violent unrest in the last four days. Police also reported that eight vehicles were torched on the mine property on Sunday.

The mine has called for an end to the violence.

"Whilst our first thoughts must be with the families of those killed and injured in these criminal clashes, our operational priority is to see the violence stop," said Lonmin CEO Ian Farmer.

Stable
In February, the two unions also clashed over membership at Impala Platinum's mines in Rustenburg. – Sapa

Meanwhile, police said on Tuesday morning the situation at the mine was stable.

Captain Dennis Adriao said police had been monitoring the situation at the mine.

"At this stage no other incidents were reported throughout Monday night."

About 3 000 Lonmin rock drill operators started an illegal work stoppage and protest march on Friday. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Magashule snubs former presidents Mbeki and Motlanthe

Magashule fails to meet former presidents Mbeki and Motlanthe as he runs out of options

‘Suspicious’ tech company EOH must pay back millions

EOH allegedly inflated prices of Microsoft licences, which could have been bought by the defence department for a third of the cost

More top stories

The perverse irony of the Super League-haunted semi-finals

The welcome ring of the Champions League anthem next week will be tainted by developments off the pitch

Khaya Sithole: Drug firms addicted to profit, not cure

The opioid crisis in the US saw its beginnings in Big Pharma, one of which makes a Covid vaccine

Editorial: Pay up, JZ – you have the cash

Jacob Zuma knows how to find money and spend it — as long as it’s not his own

JSC won’t axe Hlophe from selection panel

The commission has dismissed three requests not to proceed with interviews for candidates for the Western Cape high court
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…