1. Prince Harry is third in line to the British throne, after his father, Prince Charles, and his elder brother, Prince William. Harry turns 28 on September 15.
2. His full name is Prince Henry Charles Albert David of Wales. Being titled, he does not usually take a surname, but technically his surname is Mountbatten-Windsor, the family name promulgated by Queen Elizabeth II in 1960 (replacing the plain Windsor adopted by George V in 1917). The surname "Wales" was used for the princes when they were at school and is Prince Harry's official surname in the army.
3. He is a captain in the Army Air Corps. He qualified as an Apache pilot and won a shooting prize.
4. He served as an air-control operator in Afghanistan in 2008, using the call sign "widow six seven".
5. Two weeks ago the American celebrity website TMZ published two pictures of Prince Harry – already notorious for his partying ways – cavorting naked with female friends in a suite at the MGM Grand Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. Apparently, his minders were not strict enough about not allowing guests to bring cellphones to the suite.
6. The pictures remained unpublished by the British press until August 25, when The Sun slapped one on its front page, saying that most people had already seen the pictures on the internet and publication was in the public interest because it highlighted a "lack of press freedom" in the British media.
7. By August 28, a record number of 3600 complaints about the image had been received by the British Press Complaints Commission. The commission does not rule on third-party complaints, it said, and no official complaint had been made by the prince's representatives.
8. Prince Charles said he would have a paternal chat with Prince Harry about the photos. Prince Harry's military superiors were reported to be considering sanctioning him for conduct unbecoming; he would probably be docked a month's wages.
9. A Facebook profile for "Spike Wells", which was deleted this week, was widely believed to be that of Prince Harry. His nickname among some friends is "Spike" and "Wells" is close to "Wales".
10. Thousands have joined a Facebook group titled "Support Prince Harry with a Naked Salute".