Motlanthe urges men to not just talk against violence

"[I hope men] will take it upon themselves … not to just talk against violence, but to do something concrete and positive in their communities to contribute to the collective effort to build a society that protects and respects the rights of women and children," said Motlanthe. 

"Two weeks ago, when we marked International Men's Day, I was encouraged by the pledge by men in many organisations to strive towards becoming role models through behaviour and practices that uphold the dignity of young girls and women."

He said he was confident that the country was making progress in influencing men to stop treating women and children as objects of abuse and violence.

Motlanthe was addressing the closing ceremony of the 16 days of activism for no violence against women and children and the launch of the National Council Against Gender-Based Violence, in Rustenburg.

He said although the campaign was coming to an end, it did not mean that the fight against this type of violence should as well. The country's experience and understanding of the importance of human rights should enable it to build a strong institutional and constitutional framework to protect such rights.


"We all need to take responsibility to protect this framework, and at the same time, implement programmes and interventions that contribute to the attainment of our vision of a caring and proud society," Motlanthe said.

"The fact that we observe these 16 days serves as the strongest sign that more still needs to be done by all of us to truly render this form of abuse obsolete and to ensure that violence has no place in a civilised and humane society."

He said government had been working with all parties involved to implement various institutional measures. This included rolling out and sustaining initiatives which informed and raised awareness among communities; developing strategies and interventions to address weaknesses within the system which supported those whose rights had been violated; and getting citizens to contribute to the fight against violence against women and children.

Motlanthe said Women, Children, and People with Disabilities Minister Lulu Xingwana would establish a National Council Against Gender-Based Violence. "This is indeed a positive step that will allow us to work in unison and in a co-ordinated fashion.

"We are very mindful, however, that the problem of the abuse of women and children can never be confined to specific campaigns and commemorative days," he said.

The 16 days reminded people that they could not be complacent or indifferent, and to intensify efforts in fighting the abuse of women and children. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Comrade Andrew Mlangeni was the embodiment of service

Kgalema Motlanthe paid tribute to ANC struggle stalwart Andrew Mlangeni, who died on Tuesday, at his 95th birthday celebrations last month

Zuma lawyers confirm he will not be attending Sona

The former president’s lawyers say they do not know how where Parliament obtained the information about his attendance

De Klerk’s paradoxical presence

Although leaders of the reconciliation era accept South Africa's last white president, younger politicians are not as forgiving

Sisulu and the bucket toilet stink

The minister has joined a long line of politicians and ministers promising to eradicate bucket toilets and then failing to deliver

ANC and the state step back from taking action against Zulu king’s land trust

Despite alleged abuses of power and people’s trust, the ANC appears to have abandoned plans to reform the controversial Ingonyama Trust Board

Military’s R500-million plane contract — for no planes

Even though no planes were ever supplied, a company wants hundreds of millions of rands from the military for a contract to supply two aircraft
Advertising

Subscribers only

The shame of 40 000 missing education certificates

Graduates are being left in the lurch by a higher education department that is simply unable to deliver the crucial certificates proving their qualifications - in some cases dating back to 1992

The living nightmare of environmental activists who protest mine expansion

Last week Fikile Ntshangase was gunned down as activists fight mining company Tendele’s expansions. Community members tell the M&G about the ‘kill lists’ and the dread they live with every day

More top stories

Fifteen witnesses for vice-chancellor probe

Sefako Makgatho University vice-chancellor Professor Peter Mbati had interdicted parliament last month from continuing with the inquiry

Constitutional Court ruling on restructuring dispute is good for employers

A judgment from the apex court empowers employers to change their workers’ contracts — without consultation

Audi Q8: Perfectly cool

The Audi Q8 is designed to be the king in the elite SUV class. But is it a victim of its own success?

KZN officials cash in on ‘danger pay for Covid-19’

Leadership failures at Umdoni local municipality in KwaZulu-Natal have caused a ‘very unhappy’ ANC PEC to fire the mayor and chief whip
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday