Match fixing: Safa says officials were improperly removed

The South African Football Association (Safa) did not exonerate the group, which included president Kirsten Nematandani, new chief executive Dennis Mumble and its top refereeing officials, but said the committee that put them on "special leave" did not have the authority to do so.

The move comes less than two weeks before South Africa hosts the African Nations Cup finals.

Last month, world soccer governing body Fifa handed over a 500-page report to Safa on its investigation of convicted Singapore match fixer Wilson Raj Perumal and his Football 4U organisation.

The Fifa report alleged the results of South Africa's pre-World Cup warm-up matches against Thailand, Bulgaria, Colombia and Guatemala leading up the 2010 finals were fixed and implicated the nation's officials.

"We are not sweeping this under the carpet," SAFA spokesperson Dominic Chimhavi told reporters, adding the matter would be thoroughly investigated.

Allegations of match fixing were first revealed in the press last July but Safa did not immediately act, only raising the issue once Fifa had incorporated the country in a wider investigation into Perumal.

The organisation's image has suffered in recent years from in-fighting between football politicians and near bankruptcy, with an independent audit firm brought in to run the body's finances.

Safa was hoping a successful Nations Cup tournament, kicking off on January 19, would help reverse its fortunes and recently unveiled a long-term development plan to revive corporate sponsorship. – Reuters

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Jon Herskovitz
Jon Herskovitz has over 313 followers on Twitter.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Eskom and unions reach wage agreement, workers back at work

The power utility warned that the system would take some time to recover because maintenance work had been postponed because of the unprotected strike

Start of State Security Agency R1-million theft case delayed

Thuso Oesi, a former SSA administrator accused of fraud, did not arrive in court for medical reasons

Why government would fall short of cash if the fuel...

But restructuring the Road Accident Fund levy would reduce pressure on consumers

Gordhan’s Eskom ‘blame game’ underwhelms ANC leaders

Sources at a meeting of the national executive committee said a call was made to shift the power utility to Gwede Mantashe’s ministry of minerals and resources
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×