Afghan attack kills US diplomat

Afghan National Army soldiers rush to the scene moments after a car bomb exploded in front of the Provincial Reconstruction Team, in Qalat, Zabul, on April 6. (AP)

Afghan National Army soldiers rush to the scene moments after a car bomb exploded in front of the Provincial Reconstruction Team, in Qalat, Zabul, on April 6. (AP)

The diplomat and other Americans were in a convoy of vehicles in Zabul province when the blast occurred, Secretary of State John Kerry said in a statement.

The soldiers and the diplomat died in the blast along with a civilian employee of the Defence Department and Afghan civilians, Kerry said. His statement gave no overall death toll.

The Washington Post identified the diplomat as Anne Smedinghoff (25) citing her parents. Smedinghoff was Kerry's embassy guide and aide when he visited Afghanistan last month, the paper said.

Local and international officials in the region said earlier that six people died in the blast: three US soldiers, two US civilians and an Afghan doctor.

Provincial governor Mohammad Ashraf Nasery was in the convoy, but was unharmed, local and Nato officials said.

"Our American officials and their Afghan colleagues were on their way to donate books to students in a school in Qalat, the province's capital, when they were struck by this despicable attack," Kerry said in his statement.

He said he had met the diplomat during a trip to Kabul, and spoke to her parents after her death. Four other US diplomats were wounded, one critically, Kerry said in his statement.

The convoy was near a hospital and a Nato base at the time of the explosion. Five Afghans, including a student and two reporters, were wounded, a local official said.

The attack came as the top US general, Martin Dempsey, chairperson of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, arrived in the country for a short visit to assess how much training Afghan troops need before US troops pull out as planned by the end of 2014.

In an attack in Afghanistan's east, an American civilian working with the US government was killed during an insurgent attack, the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force said in a statement.

Zabul shares borders with Pakistan to the south-east and Kandahar province, the birthplace of the Taliban, to the south.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the Zabul attack in an SMS from spokesperson Qari Yousuf Ahmadi. He said a car bomb killed seven foreigners and wounded five others, although he later revised the toll to 13 foreigners killed and nine wounded.

The Taliban routinely exaggerates casualty figures.

The killings followed a bloody Taliban assault in the country's west on Wednesday that killed 44 people in a courtroom in Farah province. The United Nations says civilians are being increasingly targeted.

In a statement posted online earlier on Saturday, Ahmadi said the Taliban would continue to target Afghan judges and prosecutors.

"The Islamic Emirate, from today onwards, will keep a close watch over courthouses, all its personnel and all those who try to harm Mujahideen and will deal with them the same as the judges and prosecutors of Farah. - Reuters

 

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus

Client Media Releases

NWU School of Business and Governance hosts ORCA workshop
Preparations set for VUT Annual Open Day
Fintech: disintermediating the industry
Transport dept issues Moloto Development Corridor statement