Nokia to sell phone unit to Microsoft for €5.44bn

Nokia will grant Microsoft a 10-year non-exclusive licence to its patents and will itself focus on network infrastructure and services, which it called "the best path forward for Nokia and its shareholders."

The company also announced the immediate departure of chief executive Stephen Elop. He will be replaced in the interim by Risto Siilasmaa, Nokia's chairperson of the board.

Nokia was long the global leader in making mobile phones but has been overtaken by rivals Samsung and Apple as it struggled to establish winning business models and mobile devices.

The transaction announced Tuesday is expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2014, pending approval by Nokia shareholders and regulatory authorities.

Patent agreement
Some 32 000 Nokia employees are expected to transfer to Microsoft, including approximately 4 700 people in Finland, the company said.

The operations affected by the transfer generated approximately €14.9-billion  in 2012, or almost 50% of Nokia's net sales, the company said.

Of the total purchase price of €5.44-billion, €3.79-billion relates to the purchase of Nokia's Devices & Services business, and €1.65-billion relates to the mutual patent agreement and future option.

Last month, Nokia finalised the purchase of German engineering giant Siemens' 50% stake in Nokia Siemens Networks for €1.7-billion.

NSN, which is specialised in high-speed mobile broadband, was set up as a joint venture between the two companies in 2007, a partnership that expired in April. The unit has posted stronger earnings than Nokia's mobile phone business.

NSN posted a net profit of €8.0-million in the second quarter of this year, compared to Nokia's net loss of €227-million in the same period. – AFP


These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Schools: Confusion rather than clarity and confidence reign

The way in which Angie Motshekga has handled the reopening of schools has caused many people to lose confidence in her

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday