Court rules SABC former editor may return to work

The Labour Court has instructed the SABC to allow former editor Montlenyane Diphoko to return to work, his attorney said on Monday.

"The court has upheld the findings of the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation, and Arbitration [CCMA] last year, and instructed the SABC to allow my client to return to work within two weeks," said Chris Machingura.

The court ruled a week ago that Diphoko be allowed back to work and that he be paid his salary back-dated to April 1 2010. Diphoko declined to comment.

He was editor of news international when he was found guilty of negligence and dishonesty relating to fruitless and wasteful expenditure in 2009. The charges related to the payment of independent contractors.

Diphoko was accused of mismanagement and of overspending his budget by R20-million, resulting in financial loss for the public broadcaster. He was dismissed in 2010.

He took the SABC to the CCMA, which ruled in his favour last year.

The commission found that his dismissal was "substantially and procedurally unfair" and ordered that he be allowed to return to work.

The public broadcaster sought a review of the CCMA decision and approached the Labour Court, which upheld the CCMA decision.

Plot to oust him
Diphoko argued that he was not the financial officer, and was not the only person involved in authorising payments. He argued that the charges were part of a plot to oust him.

"He was never dishonest. He consulted widely and had a financial person advising him … The payment forms did not have Diphoko's signature only. It needed another person's authorisation as well. He did not override the financial officer, who was never charged," Machingura said.

He was still waiting to hear from the SABC when Diphoko would be allowed to return to work.

"It has been a gruelling three years for him. We do not know the view of the SABC regarding this recent ruling … We are still waiting to hear from them," Machingura said.

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said talks with Diphoko were continuing.

"Please note that the SABC is still engaging with Mr Diphoko and his lawyers about this matter," he said. – Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa
Guest Author
Advertisting

Not a sweet deal, Mister

Mister Sweet workers say they will not risk their health, and the lives of others, to continue producing and packaging confectionaries

Covid-19 grounds Nigeria’s medical tourists

The country’s elites, including the president, travelled abroad for treatment but now they must use the country’s neglected health system

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Stay at home, Cyril said. But what about the homeless?

In Tshwane, forcing homeless people off the street resulted in chaos and the abuse of a vulnerable population. In Durban, a smooth, well-planned operation fared far better

Press Releases

Everyone’s talking about it. Even Kentucky

Earlier this year South African fried chicken fast-food chain, Chicken Licken®, launched a campaign for their wallet-friendly EasyBucks® meals, based on the idea of ‘Everyone’s talking about it.’

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world