R2K to protest SABC pulling ‘The Big Debate’

The Right2Know Campaign (R2K) said on Friday it will protest the cancelling of current affairs talk show The Big Debate.

"In protest at the continuing censorship and lack of editorial independence at the SABC, as well as the canning of The Big Debate, we are issuing a public call to protest … ," national co-ordinator Mark Weinberg said in a statement.

He said R2K was outraged that the show was being cancelled before its second season could be aired, and called on the public to participate in its protest in Auckland Park on Thursday.

"The SABC's canning of the Big Debate smacks of political censorship and an abuse of the public broadcaster to protect certain individuals' political interests."

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago could not immediately be reached for comment.

He told the Mail & Guardian: "The Big Debate … was incorrectly commissioned by SABC2 and in so doing, the editorial oversight, which is the responsibility of the newsroom, was compromised."

Censorship
He said it was against the public broadcaster's policies to outsource news and current affairs.

"Editorial responsibility for all news and current affairs content is vested in the newsroom."

Weinberg said R2K questioned the timing of the decision to cancel the show.

"It would appear that the SABC wants to insource current affairs because the programme producers are too independently-minded for the broadcaster, and they have developed cold feet with a national election looming."


The Freedom of Expression Institute (FXI) also condemned the SABC's decision.

"Having participated in one of the sittings of The Big Debate, the FXI is displeased at the censorship of what it deems to have been a valuable programme that fostered the realisation of many aspects of the right to freedom of expression."

The FXI felt cancelling the show was opposed to the ideals of press freedom. – Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa
Guest Author
Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday