Woolworths to close Nigeria stores

South African food-and-clothing retailer Woolworths Holdings plans to close its three stores in Nigeria because of high rental costs, duties and difficulties with its supply chain.

“When an investment no longer generates viable returns, difficult decisions have to be made to contain costs,” chief executive Ian Moir said in an e-mailed statement. “The Woolworths clothing and general-merchandise business in Nigeria has not been successful, despite several attempts to improve performance.” 

The decision does not signal a change in the retailer’s African strategy, Moir said. Woolworths, which has 59 stores in 11 African countries outside its home market, will continue to expand on the continent, he said.

Woolworths opened its first two Nigerian stores in Lagos in March last year, followed by a store in Enugu in October 2012, as South African retailers battled increased competition and shrinking domestic consumer disposable incomes.

Woolworths becomes the latest retailer to acknowledge expansion struggles in Africa’s most populous country. Truworths, South Africa’s largest listed clothing retailer, has no plans to expand beyond its four Nigeria stores, chief executive Michael Mark said in an interview at the company’s annual general meeting in Cape Town on Thursday.

Massmart Holdings Ltd, the South African food and goods wholesaler owned by Wal-Mart Stores, has said it faces electricity shortages there.

“Nigeria is particularly difficult, but retailers such as Mr Price that have lower price points and are cash based are likely to be more appealing,” Roger Tejwani, a retail analyst at NOAH Capital Markets, who has a sell recommendation on Truworths, said by phone from Cape Town.

Truworths’ Mark said while its Nigeria stores are loss-making, two of its outlets there have three-year leases and the company will see out the contracts. Truworths expansion in the rest of Africa is “on balance” profitable, he said. – Bloomberg

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Stay at home, Cyril said. But what about the homeless?

In Tshwane, forcing homeless people off the street resulted in chaos and the abuse of a vulnerable population. In Durban, a smooth, well-planned operation fared far better

Press Releases

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders