Jub Jub a flight risk, denied bail

Convicted murderer Molemo "Jub Jub" Maarohanye is a flight risk and should not be granted bail, the high court in Johannesburg ruled on Thursday.

"I am convinced that the magistrate exercised his duties accordingly. The application for bail is refused," Judge Natvarlal Ranchod said.

Maarohanye was asking the court to grant him bail, pending the appeal against his murder conviction and sentence.

He was not in court for the application.


This followed an unsuccessful attempt for bail in the Protea Magistrate's Court in September. The petition to appeal was filed in the high court in March.

Flight risk 
Ranchod said the fact that Maarohanye had approached the investigating officer twice during his trial for the release of his passport so he could travel, indicated that he could leave the country if granted bail.

"He requested the passport to travel instead of applying to the court to relax his bail conditions."

Maarohanye's defence failed to provide exceptional circumstances why he should be granted bail, he said.

Maarohanye's lawyer Rudi Krause said he would take instructions from his client on the way forward.

"I am not disappointed … these things happen. We have not decided what to do yet," Krause told journalists outside the courtroom.

NPA pleased with ruling 
National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Phindi Louw said the state was happy with the outcome and was prepared for the appeal.

Maarohanye and his co-accused, Themba Tshabalala, were each sentenced in December last year to 20 years imprisonment for murder and four years for attempted murder.

For use of drugs, driving under the influence of drugs, and racing on a public road, they got a year for each count.

Maarohanye and Tshabalala were accused of drag-racing in Protea North on March 8 2010, when they crashed into a group of schoolboys.

Prince Mohube, Mlungisi Cwayi, Andile Mthombeni, and Phomello Masemola were killed.  – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Eskom’s Matone to CCMA over ‘unfair suspension’

While deputy president Ramaphosa assures the country that the Eskom boardroom shenanigans "are not squabbles", Eskom's controversial chair stays put.

Sapa clarifies concerns over deletion of database stories

The South African Press Association has allayed fears over the mandatory deletion of its stories from its subscribers' archives.

Durban writer believes praise for Rushdie behind vicious attack

Durban writer Zainub Priya Dala believes she was assaulted for expressing admiration for controversial novelist Salman Rushdie, her publisher said.

DA argument on Mbete calling police is ‘extremist’

The DA's argument to overturn a parliamentary rule allowing Mbete to call police to remove MP's was "extremist", says senior counsel for Parliament.

Malema sequestration to be argued in June

The matter would be argued in June, and that it would give Sars and Julius Malema time to file all the necessary court papers.

Flabba murder accused Manqele granted bail

The magistrate said Sindisiwe Manqele, who has claimed self-defence, would have to comply with several conditions as part of her R10 000 bail.
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

Zuma maintains his true colours at Zondo commission

The former president’s escapades at the commission of inquiry into state capture are a far cry from Nelson Mandela’s response when summonsed to testify in the high court

Gordhan tells Zondo how Moyane wanted to advance the objectives...

The public enterprises minister is being cross-examined by Tom Moyane’s lawyers at the state capture inquiry, as both men seek to defend their reputations

Burundian refugees in Tanzania face increasing danger

Human Rights Watch has documented cases of Burundian refugees being tortured and forcibly returned by Tanzanian authorities

Exclusive: Top-secret testimonies implicate Rwanda’s president in war crimes

Explosive witness testimony from the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda implicates Paul Kagame and the RPF in mass killings before, during and after the 1994 genocide.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…