Two more arrested in Bronkhorstspruit as protests escalate

Protesters in Bronkhorstspruit, east of Pretoria, set alight several buildings, including a clinic, on Wednesday, according to the South African Police Service.

"A clinic, house and a hall were burnt down in Rethabiseng," said spokesperson Johannes Japhta.

He said the protests had spread to nearby townships.

Seven buildings had been set alight as a result of the protests in the area. Two people were arrested in Rethabiseng on Wednesday and would be charged with public violence and illegal public gathering.


Mass arrest
The police arrested more than 50 people after disgruntled Bronkhorstspruit residents set alight a library and a house at around 3am on Tuesday.

No one was injured and the three people who were in the house at the time escaped when the fire started.

Japhta said it was not known if the home owner worked for the Tshwane municipality, but he had previously been a community policing forum member.

The library was completely destroyed, he said. The police opened a case of arson. Japhta said it was not yet known if a petrol bomb had been used.

System crash
Violent service delivery protests erupted in the area last week. Protesters torched the Zithobeni satellite police station and municipal offices.

The City of Tshwane said on Tuesday that residents of Bronkhorstspruit, Rethabiseng and Zithobeni in Region Seven had been protesting because they were unable to buy pre-paid electricity.

Spokesperson Blessing Manale said that before Region Seven merged with the city, it used a prepaid electricity system called the Conolog and the system crashed on Monday last week.

"The city has, since the system crashed, called in technicians for repairs, but has been advised that the system was irreparable," he said.

"The region has now intensified its roll-out of the migration programme to transfer residents from the old Conolog system to the Supreme system and calls upon all residents from Bronkhorstspruit, Zithobeni and Rethabiseng to come and register for the new system."

He said the city condemned the vandalism and destruction of property and called for calm in the area. – Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa
Guest Author
Advertising

Sadtu calls for the closure of schools

Citing cases such as a school to which only four learners returned, to be met by 20 teachers, the union said Covid-19 is wreaking havoc on learning

SAA creditors give go-ahead on rescue plan

Unions and staff representatives have agreed to severance packages for about 2 700 employees who will lose their jobs.

Basic income grant on the cards as Covid-19 threat intensifies

The pandemic has triggered a global economic crisis that will leave many South Africans without income security

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday