Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Springboks depth tested playing against Scotland

South Africa’s depth was tested in their 55-6 demolition of Scotland on Saturday in Port Elizabeth and came through with flying colours.

The most encouraging part was that old campaigners played as if they were at the peak of their careers, while the young Turks performed like seasoned veterans in their eight-try romp. Springboks coach Heyneke Meyer on Saturday expressed his satisfaction with the depth he had developed since taking the reins in 2012. 

“Three years ago we started with some youngsters and as we suffered injuries we brought some of the older players back into the side,” Meyer said. “A lot of them played brilliantly tonight [Saturday], we asked for a big performance from a guy like JP Pietersen but it is also great that when we had injuries again the youngsters came through. 

“We have an unbelievable 40 players that we can pick from so I am really happy with the guys coming through and I think the future looks bright.” Scotland coach Vern Cotter said his team did not start well while they also conceded too many penalties. 

Although Cotter bemoaned the scoreline, he believed his charges could take some lessons from the match. “We just have to repeat doing the good things and if we don’t offer as many opportunities to the opposition as we did today we can shift in the right direction,” Cotter said. 

‘Proud of the guys’
Meyer said he had asked his charges for a strong performance following their hard-fought victory over Wales in Mbombela a week ago. That they did in emphatic style as almost every player contributed to a carnival of tries at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium. “I’m really proud of the guys – the message the whole week was that we have to come back after last week although I thought we played well last weekend and Wales were brilliant but we said we have to come back,” Meyer said. 

“We wanted to end it off with a performance that can make the country and the team proud before the Rugby Championship. “We obviously attacked well but the thing that stood out is that we didn’t concede any tries and most other teams, especially at the end, would probably have conceded a try because the Scots kept on firing and we kept them out.” 

It was a baptism of fire for flyhalf Handre Pollard, who instilled confidence that he had the right temperament to make it at this level. He looked comfortable, tucked in between stalwart Fourie du Preez and Jan Serfontein, who is growing in stature with every game, on his outside. 

“We needed a flyhalf to stand up especially a young flyhalf, and he [Pollard] was awesome when he was on the front foot, he has a mature head on his shoulder and I thought he really played well,” Meyer said of Pollard’s debut. 

“I am so proud of him and Jan Serfontein because way back he struggled with defence and now three weeks in a row he put in some of the biggest tackles. 

“I thought he was awesome on defence especially with a youngster on his inside and I thought that when Fourie went off we lost a lot of rhythm but suddenly we have a very young backline.” 

Lack of depth
While Pollard could be the answer to the national side’s lack of depth at the number-10 position, Meyer was still having sleepless nights over an understudy to Du Preez. To add to his worries, Du Preez suffered an ankle injury 30 minutes into the clash, and Meyer admitted that he was concerned about his availability for the Rugby Championship. 

“I am very worried about Fourie and I think he is still the best scrumhalf in the world and you could just see that Handre looked brilliant next to him,” Meyer said. “The way he gives input on attack, he controls the game, his kicking game as well, so I am really worried. 

“There is a big concern there and just really hope he will be ready for the Rugby Championship, but we still have two other nines.” While the Springboks won all four matches of the Incoming Series against the World XV, Wales and Scotland, they will face a tougher challenge in the Rugby Championship. Meyer expressed the hope that the players will be managed well when they return to their franchises and clubs as he would be be hoping to field his strongest possible side for the four-nation series. – Sapa

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Fears of violence persist a year after the murder of...

The court battle to stop coal mining in rural KwaZulu-Natal has heightened the sense of danger among environmental activists

Data shows EFF has lower negative sentiment online among voters...

The EFF has a stronger online presence than the ANC and Democratic Alliance

More top stories

Mkhize throws the book at the Special Investigating Unit

It’s a long shot at political redemption for the former health minister and, more pressingly, a bid to avert criminal charges

Pockets of instability in Kenya are underpinned by unequal development

Stability in Kenya hinges on a just, equitable distribution of resources, and a commitment to progress human development for the marginalised

Eastern Cape premier Mabuyane lives large amid province’s poverty

Oscar Mabuyane and MEC Babalo Madikizela allegedly used a portion of state funds for struggle icon Winnie Madikizela-Mandela’s commemoration for their own benefit

Constitutional court confirms warrantless searches in cordoned off areas unconstitutional

The law was challenged in response to raids in inner Johannesburg seemingly targeting illegal immigrants and the highest court has pronounced itself 10 days before an election in which then mayor Herman Mashaba has campaigned on an anti-foreigner ticket
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×