Don't Miss This: June 19 - 25
- Late Nite News with Loyiso Gola host, Loyiso Gola, is performing staging a one-man show in cities, Pretoria, Cape Town and Grahamstown. The show is titled Loyiso Gola Live and will end off at the National Arts Festival. WHEN
WHERE Joburg Theatre.
TIME 8pm COST R170 – R210. INFO Visit joburgtheatre.com or call 011 877 6800.
- Art meets music at the Guitar Giants concert set in a park made up of more than 60 sculptures by local artists. The concert will feature original compositions from a collection of local guitar players such as Madala Kunene, Guy Buttery, Ben Badenhorst, Lerato Lichaba, Tessa Ziegler and Richard Bruyns. There will be food stalls and a bar. WHEN June 20. WHERE Nirox Foundation Sculpture Park. TIME 10am. COST R300 online and R320 at the gate. Children under 12 pay half-price and infants aged two and under enter free of charge. TICKETS and INFO available at acousticsnow.org
- Shakespeare’s classic tragedy gets a fresh take in the Geneva Ballet’s production of Roméo & Juliette. The show is choreographed by Joëlle Bouvier who gets creative with the sequence of the story. It features a cast of 22 dancers from around the world. WHEN Until June 21. WHERE Joburg Theatre. COST R180 to R350. TICKETS Available at joburgtheatre.com or call 0861?670?670. INFO Visit joburgtheatre.com
- South African Music award-winning singer Nomisupa is hosting a skaftin (lunchbox) party to raise funds to cover travel expenses to New York. She has been invited to perform at the UN General Assembly where singers such as Beyoncé and Angélique Kidjo have previously performed. WHEN June 25. WHERE Monchhichi. TIME 8pm. COST R100. TICKETS Available at quicket.co.za and at the door. INFO Follow twitter.com/nomisupasta
- Comedian Kedibone Mulaudzi has found his spot as the go-to guy in the gospel arena, poking fun at some church stereotypes with stand-up comedy. He is performing at the No Jokes Comedy Show with comedians Glen Bo, Lethu LJ and Zikho Sithole. WHEN June 26. WHERE Holiday Inn Sandton Skye Bar. TIME 7pm to9pm. COST R90. BOOKINGS Call Rethabile on 076?939?3620
- “Feel free … Just be!” is the slogan for the Youth Expression Festival, which recalls South Africa’s past and celebrates the hopes of the class of 1976. The festival provides a platform on which youths can express themselves through drama, dance and other art forms. The programme features theatre productions that include Missing, The Kraal, Fadi: Spiritual Rhythm, The Funeral and music by performers such as the Jazz Expressions and The Soil. Poet Napo Masheane and friends will also perform. WHEN Until June 27. WHERE State Theatre. TICKETS Available from computicket.co.za. INFO Visit statetheatre.co.za for the full programme.
Poet Napo Masheane and Friends will perform at the Youth Expression Festival. (Delwyn Verasamy)
- Visual artists Senzeni Marasela and Guto Bussab showcase their latest work in a group exhibition titled Waiting. Marasela’s work includes linocuts and etchings in the shape of female forms. Bussab, who is a photographer, deals with themes such as identity, inequality and gender politics. WHEN Until July 4. WHERE Muti Gallery. INFO Visit themutigallery.co.za or call 021?465?3551
- United States pop-rock band OneRepublic will have local rock band Gangs of Ballet as their opening act. OneRepublic shot to stardom with the hit single Apologise from their debut album Dreaming Out Loud, released in 2007. WHEN June 21. WHERE Grand Arena, Grand West. TIME 8pm. COST R395 to R595. TICKETS Available from bigconcerts.com and computicket.co.za INFO Visit bigconcerts.co.za