Guinea ready to help fight Boko Haram

Guinean President Alpha Condé said on Wednesday that the country was ready to help in the regional fight against Islamist militants from Boko Haram.

“We are ready to provide any assistance asked of us … in the fight against Boko Haram,” Condé told a press conference in Niger’s capital city of Niamey at the end of a two-day visit.

“It will depend on what our brothers [in Nigeria and neighbouring countries] ask. That’s for them to tell us what they want from us,” he added, hailing the determination of Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari to fight against the jihadist force.

Boko Haram’s bloody insurgency in Nigeria has left more than 15 000 people dead since 2009 and has increasingly spread across the country’s borders, with Chad and Cameroon suffering deadly suicide bombings in recent months.

Last week the Nigerian commander of a new multinational force set up to fight Boko Haram pledged to bring an end to the group’s six-year insurgency “very soon”.


The force will contain troops from Nigeria, Cameroon, Niger and Chad, with Benin committed to help.

The 8 700-strong force has its headquarters in the Chadian capital of N’Djamena.

But Buhari has complained of a lack of resources, saying: “After the promises of G7 countries to help the region defeat Boko Haram, we are waiting for training, equipment and intelligence assistance.”

The jihadist group has stepped up its attacks since Buhari took office in May, unleashing a wave of violence that has claimed more than 800 lives in just two months.

“The multinational joint force will eradicate … the blind terrorism of Boko Haram,” Niger’s President Mahamadou Issoufou said in a televised speech on Sunday.

Condé stressed that “whatever the will of Niger or Chad, there must first be a strong involvement of Nigeria.”

Chad and Niger have complained repeatedly of a lack of co-ordination with the Nigerian army, and of having been prevented from carrying out full operations against Boko Haram within Nigerian territory. – AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday