Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Ntlemeza confirmed as new Hawks head

Major General Mthandazo Ntlemeza is now officially the new head of the Hawks. 

Ntlemeza has been acting in the position since December, following the controversial suspension and resignation of General Anwa Dramat from the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation. 

Making the announcement on Thursday, Police Minister Nathi Nhleko gave a breakdown of Ntlemeza’s 34 years in the service and said time and again they had been faulted for not appointing career policemen and women into these positions. 

“I have no doubt that Gen Ntlemeza will continue the good work that the Hawks have become famous for and help government in fighting serious organised crime and corruption.” 

He said Ntlemeza had been selected from five candidates and the interview panel had included three ministers, one deputy as well as human resources. 

Addressing journalists in Parliament on Thursday, Nhleko said Ntlemeza had already done a lot to improve the Hawks, including creating a strategic plan for the entity, which he had already presented. 

On comments made by Judge Elias Matojane accusing Ntlemeza of lying under oath in March this year and being dishonest, and lacking integrity and honour, Nhleko said they were just comments and they did not know what triggered them. 

In a brief memorandum to the interview panel before his appointment, Ntlemeza raised the issue of the judges’ comments, saying he had not been given the opportunity to respond to the accusations. 

In the memorandum, he assures the panel that he is fit for the job. 

Asked why he is the best candidate for the job, Ntlemeza said if detectives across the country would be rated, he would come out at the top as number one or two and said he had trained a number of highly successful investigators. 

Ntlemeza thanked the minister and Cabinet for showing confidence in the DPCI and appointing him. 

“Over the past months as the acting head of the Hawks, I have taken it upon my shoulders to ensure that the DPCI is steered in the right direction towards the fight against crime. To contribute towards a safe and secure environment for all inhabitants of the country.” 

He pledged to keep fighting crime, as it was in his “blood”.

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

‘People feel they have a stake in SAA’ — Gidon...

Interest in the beleaguered national carrier, which has received billions of rands in public funding, means criticism is inevitable

Soweto teacher dismissed for the alleged repeated rape of a...

The learner was 13 when the alleged rapes started, and they continued for two years until she asked to be moved to another school

More top stories

Eskom to take over distribution, billing at troubled Free State...

The Maluti-a-Phofung local municipality owes the power utility more than R5-billion

COMING UP: Ramaphosa addresses the nation

The president will give an update on developments in South Africa's response to the Covid-19 pandemic

ANC committed to paying staff salaries, but employees are not...

ANC staffers picketed outside Luthuli House on Tuesday after months of problems with salary payments

Kanalelo Boloetsi: Taking on Lesotho’s cellphone giants, and winning

A man who took on cellphone data regulators over out-of-bundle rates is featured in this edition of a series on human rights defenders in the SADC region
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×