WHO experts in Cape Verde to monitor Zika, microcephaly case

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has dispatched a team to Cape Verde to monitor a Zika virus outbreak following the west African archipelago’s first recorded microcephaly case.

The WHO said in a statement released Friday it was sending a team of epidemiologists, maternal health specialists and communication staff at the request of the government.

“WHO is sending a team to Cabo Verde (Cape Verde), with joint participation of experts from WHO AFRO and the Institut Pasteur, Dakar,” it said, referring to a Senegal-based infectious disease centre.

It follows Cape Verde’s announcement on Tuesday of the first appearance of microcephaly on the islands, a severe deformation of the brains of infants whose link with the mosquito-borne Zika virus is under close study.

Cape Verde recorded 33 suspected cases of Zika in the first week of March alone, and has registered almost 7 500 cases since October 21 last year, according to WHO figures.

Zika usually causes mild symptoms in adults, with a low fever, headaches and joint pain.

But its quick spread has caused alarm due to an observed association with microcephaly and Guillain-Barre, a rare condition in which the body’s immune system attacks a part of the nervous system that controls muscle strength.

“Investigations are underway to determine if this case of microcephaly is linked to Cabo Verde’s outbreak of Zika virus,” the WHO statement said.

There is currently no vaccine for the virus.

Brazil has been hardest hit by Zika, with some 1.5-million people infected and 745 confirmed cases of microcephaly in children born to women infected with the virus while pregnant.

Affected countries are focusing on wiping out mosquito populations in an effort to curb its spread.

The number of babies with the condition has surged since a Zika outbreak sweeping Latin America was detected last year.

All told, some 40 countries have reported transmission within their borders since then. – AFP

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Test backlog skews SA’s corona stats

With thousands of samples still waiting to be processed, labs are racing to ramp up testing to help the government gain a better idea of how prevalent Covid-19 really is

M&G’s latest Covid-19 projections

Covid-19 numbers are prompting disaster declarations and dramatic action across South Africa this week. All steps should be directed by numbers

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories