Integrity inquiry into JZ not over

ANC president Jacob Zuma will appear before the party’s integrity commission, for a second time, for possibly bringing it into disrepute.

He made his first appearance before it on Saturday December 3 at Liliesleaf Farm, flanked by a small group of ANC Youth League supporters. His next meeting is set for January 15.

Although the ANC has attempted to downplay the seriousness of Zuma being summoned by the commission, apparently the president’s appearance was approached in the same manner as other ANC members who have appeared before it. Based on its recommendations, the ANC has previously taken action against some senior leaders.

After his appearance, Zuma told his youth league supporters of an “in-depth and fruitful discussion” with the commission. He added that no charges had been put to him.

“I also indicated [to the commission] that there are many people who come to conclusions without information. And I said that’s wrong.”


He said all people, including members of the integrity commission, should always find out the truth before reaching conclusions [about him] because, without information, “you can come to a wrong conclusion”.

“So we have had a very fruitful discussion. They are keen that we should come back and have another discussion. So there’s no charge or anything.”

The commission is expected to compile a report with recommendations that will be handed to the national executive committee for action, if any.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Dineo Bendile
Dineo Bendile works from Johannesburg. Political reporter. BLACK. Dineo Bendile has over 2712 followers on Twitter.

Related stories

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

Eusebius McKaiser: Reject the dichotomy of political horrors

Senekal shows us that we must make a stand against the loud voice of the populist EFF and racist rightwingers

The demon of cronyism in the public service must be crushed

When employees do not give their best, it is the organisation that suffers the most. In the case of government this directly affects citizens

Sitting targets and lame ducks

Everybody’s staying pozi, which is making all the arrests easy for the Hawks. Only Ace is desperate to be seen

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

South Africa requires a different vision than the ANC’s

In response to Ryno Geldenhuys’s piece Under Mbali Ntuli the DA would offer South Africans a new political home, published in the Mail & Guardian on 13 October
Advertising

Subscribers only

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

More top stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Catholic NGO boss accused of racism and abuse in Sudan

The aid worker allegedly called his security guard a ‘slave’

Agrizzi too ill to be treated at Bara?

The alleged crook’s “health emergency” — if that is what it is — shows up the flaws, either in our health system or in our leadership as a whole

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday