Giving Zuma power was a fundamental error — Zwelinzima Vavi

Activist and South African Federation of Trade Unions leader Zwelinzima Vavi told crowds joining the “People’s March” that the election of President Jacob Zuma was a “tragedy” and a “fundamental error”. 

He was addressing a crowd of more than 25 000 people at Tshwane’s Church Square, where civil society leaders, members of the clergy and civilians prepared to march to the Union Buildings. 

“The important question is: what is it that we must do to correct the mistake of 2007? We are here to fight a tyrant in the form of President Jacob Zuma,” Vavi said. 

“And when you fight a tyrant, you mobilise everybody,” he added. 

The eve of the march was filled with confusion about whether or not permission had been granted for the movement to take place. Acting national police commissioner Khomotso Phahlane gave a briefing in Tshwane on Thursday evening where he declared the march to the Union Buildings illegal due to non-compliance from its organisers. 


His claims of the march’s illegality were, however, refuted by Tshwane mayor Solly Msimanga. The attempt to prohibit the march was also blocked by the regional court in Pretoria which, in an urgent hearing, ruled in favour of the protest taking place.

Friday’s demonstration was led by Save South Africa and supported by the SACP.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Dineo Bendile
Dineo Bendile works from Johannesburg. Political reporter. BLACK. Dineo Bendile has over 2712 followers on Twitter.

Related stories

Too broke for Mboweni to budget

The scramble to find cash for an SAA bailout, Covid-19 grants and civil servants’ demands force postponement of mini-budget

How graft arrests came together

Learning from its failure to turn the Schabir Shaik conviction into one for Jacob Zuma, the state is now building an effective system for catching thieves. Khaya Koko, Sabelo Skiti and Paddy Harper take a look behind the scenes at how law enforcement agencies have started creating consequences for the corrupt

October 7 strike: ‘Lukewarm’ action amid Covid-19 crisis?

After months of little action, the planned nationwide stayaway may not be an impressive show of force by the trade union movement

Richard Calland: South Africa needs a Roosevelt style of leadership

President Cyril Ramaphosa needs to hold ‘fireside chats’ and have more power and institutional muscle around him, writes Richard Calland

This beef smells like manure

What’s that animal sound? Is it a Hawk swooping? A chicken roosting? No, it’s Zuma remembering a beef

Editorial: Arrests expose the rot in the ANC

The ANC has used its power to create networks of patronage. And this means going after corruption will cost the party financially
Advertising

Subscribers only

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

More top stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Catholic NGO boss accused of racism and abuse in Sudan

The aid worker allegedly called his security guard a ‘slave’

Agrizzi too ill to be treated at Bara?

The alleged crook’s “health emergency” — if that is what it is — shows up the flaws, either in our health system or in our leadership as a whole

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday