President Jacob Zuma on Saturday said that he had accepted the resignation of Deputy Minister of Higher Education and Training Mduduzi Manana.
“The President has thanked Mr Manana for his contribution to the work of government during his term of office,” the presidency said in a short statement.
Manana recently admitted to the assault of two women at the Cubana nightclub in Fourways, Johannesburg recently.
READ MORE: ‘Manana’s co-beaters must also pay’
He appeared in the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Thursday and was released on R5 000 bail. He faces two charges of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
In a cellphone recording of Manana talking to one of the victims’ brothers shortly after the assault, Manana says he slapped the woman because she called him gay.
Manana claimed he had been “extremely provoked”.
He will also face an ANC disciplinary inquiry. The ANC’s national working committee took the decision to discipline him, ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe said on Tuesday.
“He is not serving as a leader in any structure, so the only line of action will be subjecting him to a disciplinary hearing.”
He could face suspension or expulsion from the party if found guilty. – News24