‘Maine belongs in an old age home’ – ANCYL member calls for leader’s removal

An ANC Youth League (ANCYL) member on Saturday called for the removal of the league’s president Collen Maine, claiming he is too old to lead.

Thabo Molamu, speaking on behalf of the youth league ward in Moses Kotane in the North West, said, “That man is old, he is not our president.”

Molamu says he has written a letter to ANCYL secretary general Njabulo Nzuzo and the ANC’s Gwede Mantashe, challenging Maine’s age and that he was not fit to lead the youth league.

“In the letters, we said no one above the age of 35 is allowed to be a member and the leader of the youth league… When he was elected, he claimed to be 34.9-years-old, only to find that he was 36-years-old. We have his details.”

This is not the first time that Maine’s age had been questioned. According to an eNCA report, during the time of his election, Maine was dubbed “Mr 34.9” over concerns about his age.

Molamu said, “We are calling for the respect of the constitution of the youth league which gives provision that the membership is to be between the ages of 14 and 36.

“It further says that when you are 35 or above, you [cease] to be a member of the youth league, and therefore, you cannot lead a structure when you are not a member of the youth league.

“Collen Maine belongs to an old age home.”

Molamu said when some members of the youth league challenged Maine’s age, they were told to provide proof.

“When they got elected, we disputed the leadership and we went to court, the judge dismissed our application and said that it was not urgent, the judge denied us the opportunity to argue the merits of our case.

“We believe that this is the right time to raise all of our issues which justified the illegitimacy of these current fraudsters, who claim to leaders of the youth league.”

An eNCA report on Saturday said Molamu’s letter was also supported by another unnamed youth league leader from Gauteng. They have delivered the letter to Luthuli House.

Maine was not immediately available to comment. – News24

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Test backlog skews SA’s corona stats

With thousands of samples still waiting to be processed, labs are racing to ramp up testing to help the government gain a better idea of how prevalent Covid-19 really is

M&G’s latest Covid-19 projections

Covid-19 numbers are prompting disaster declarations and dramatic action across South Africa this week. All steps should be directed by numbers

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories