Abrahams to study recommendations on Zuma charges

National prosecutions boss Shaun Abrahams says he has yet to decide if former president Jacob Zuma will be prosecuted for 783 counts of fraud, racketeering and money laundering.

The National Prosecuting Authority confirmed on Friday that Abrahams, the national director of public prosecutions (NDPP), has received recommendations from a team inside the NPA on whether Zuma should be prosecuted.

But the NPA did not reveal what the recommendations are exactly. It also did not say when the decision on Zuma’s charges will be announced.

“The NDPP has received the memorandum outlining the recommendations of the team. He will peruse it and advise on the way forward in due course,” NPA spokesperson Luvuyo Mfaku told News24.

Abrahams set a deadline last week for a prosecuting team inside the NPA to report to him on whether Zuma should be prosecuted for charges related to the spy tapes saga. The team includes senior prosecutor Billy Downer, who led the original NPA team that was investigating Zuma. In 2015, Downer submitted an affidavit where he stated that he told former NPA boss Bulelani Ngcuka in 2003 that there was enough evidence to prosecute Zuma.


“I confirm that I urged Ngcuka to prosecute Zuma. I did so on the basis of the prosecution team’s assessment of the strength of the evidence against him. The prosecution team believed that there were reasonable prospects of success,” Downer said in his affidavit. 

Downer, who is the current deputy director of public prosecutions in the Western Cape, later criticised the 2009 decision by former prosecutions boss Mokotedi Mpshe to withdraw charges against Zuma.

The current NPA team who made recommendations on Zuma’s prosecution is led by Advocate Moipone Noko. She was appointed to be director of public prosecutions in KwaZulu-Natal in 2013 by Zuma despite being investigated for maladministration, favouritism and abuse of her office.

The team also includes Lungi Mahlati, the Eastern Cape director of public prosecutions, Raymond Mathunjwa, a senior deputy director of public prosecutions‚ and Bloemfontein regional head Alinicia Coetzee.

The recommendations Abrahams received on Friday came after Zuma finally submitted representations at the end of January on why he should not be prosecuted after his deadline from last year was extended.Prosecutors were given close to three weeks to study Zuma’s arguments before they submitted their recommendations to Abrahams.

In October 2017, the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) upheld a decision by the Pretoria high court that charges against Zuma should be reinstated. The SCA said that the decision to withdraw charges against Zuma was “irrational”.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Marikana murder trial resumes

The eight-year battle for justice played out its next round in the Mahikeng high court this week

Why crooks are shivering in their boots

Ace Magashule’s anxiety has to do with the array of arrests of high-profile people facing fraud and corruption charges

How graft arrests came together

Learning from its failure to turn the Schabir Shaik conviction into one for Jacob Zuma, the state is now building an effective system for catching thieves. Khaya Koko, Sabelo Skiti and Paddy Harper take a look behind the scenes at how law enforcement agencies have started creating consequences for the corrupt

More arrests expected in the R2.3bn VBS heist

Prosecutors tell the court that more people will be charged and additional charges will be added to the seven accused in a new charge sheet

‘Haunted’ VBS executive Truter sentenced to seven years

Phillip Truter, the former chief financial officer of the defunct mutual bank who pleaded guilty to fraud and other charges, will work with authorities on how the alleged heist took place

This beef smells like manure

What’s that animal sound? Is it a Hawk swooping? A chicken roosting? No, it’s Zuma remembering a beef
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

It’s not a ‘second wave’: Covid resurges because safety measures...

A simple model shows how complacency in South Africa will cause the number of infections to go on an upward trend again

Trouble brewing for Kenya’s coffee growers

Kenyan farmers say theft of their crop is endemic – and they suspect collusion

Unisa shortlists two candidates for the vice-chancellor job

The outgoing vice-chancellor’s term has been extended to April to allow for a smooth hand-over

How US foreign policy under Donald Trump has affected Africa

Lesotho has been used as a microcosm in this article to reflect how the foreign policy has affected Africa
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday