Glebelands hostel murder suspects to apply for bail

Several suspects― one of them a police officer― accused of murder and conspiring to kill Glebelands hostel dwellers, are expected to appear in the Durban Magistrate’s Court on Monday for bail applications.

READ MORE: Police officer among five arrested for hostel murders

A number of suspects were arrested at the end of last year in pre-dawn raids for murders that occurred at the infamous Glebelands Hostel in Umlazi, Durban. Among those arrested was a sergeant in the South African Police Services.

News24 previously reported that some of the murders at the hostel “were not the normal kind of murders”.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Jay Naicker told News24 that initial investigations revealed that many of the killings were orchestrated in an organised fashion.

He said the Provincial Organised Unit investigators, together with crime intelligence, had embarked “on many months of tedious investigation, hostel infiltration and information gathering in trying to get to those responsible for the atrocities at the hostel”.

Naicker listed a number of obstacles encountered by police during evidence gathering. There were: reluctant witnesses; missing witnesses; witnesses being killed; negative perceptions from different sectors in the communities; and information being discussed on various public platforms, which helped the suspects keep one step ahead of the police.

Glebelands Hostel has been the centre of controversy since 2014. More than 90 murders have taken place there.

READ MORE: Glebelands Hostel- The scene of many murders

The Moerane Commission on political killings has heard how Glebelands was a “reservoir of hitmen” and how police were actively involved in violence.


READ MORE: Moerane report may be released after all

KwaZulu-Natal Premier Willies Mchunu established the commission in October 2016, chaired by advocate Marumo Moerane, to investigate the high number of political killings in the province since 2011. ― News24

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Schools: Confusion rather than clarity and confidence reign

The way in which Angie Motshekga has handled the reopening of schools has caused many people to lose confidence in her

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday